13. Presidential Palace

Katniss's POV

The presidential palace. Tonight is the night of judgement where we find out if we have done enough to please one Cornelius Snow. I don't think we could have done any more to prove it to him, or well I couldn't. There's no question that Peeta loves me apparently its hard to believe that I love him.

Effie has been babbling on since we got out of the car and now we are walking down the main stretch towards the palace enterance she is on the war path, "The Presidential Palace, the party of the year. Eyes bright, chins up, smiles on. I'm talking to you, Katniss." I role my eyes and Peeta sniggers as he catches me sticking my tongue out at Effie behind her back. She turns around but not quick enough as I just sarcastically smile at her and she turns back around and continues to walk ahead, "Now, there'll be photographers, interviews, everyone will be here to celebrate you, my victors." She stops at the bottom of the stairs before continuing, "Breath it all in children. This is all for you."

She leads us through the crowds of people who clap and pat us on the backs as we walk past them and inside the Palace itself. Some woman laid her hands on the feathered shoulders of me dress shouting "I love you girl on fire!" and you have to wonder if these people have anything better to do with their lives.

Effie turns to us as she walks through the entrance of the palace, "Everybody's who's anybody is here and they all want to meet you. So dance, chat, walk around and enjoy it." With that she tottles of towards Falvius and Octavia who are stood chatting in the library.

Peeta and I walk around for a while smiling and talking to people who almost worship the crowd we walk on, the way they act is quite amusing. We find ourselves outside where people are filling the dance floor.

"May I have this dance?" Peeta says imitating a Capitol accent bowing slightly and holding his hand out for me.

I place my hand in his, "Why yes you may," I say trying to contain my laughter. "You've come so far Peeta I mean a few months ago you relied so heavily on your cane and here you are dancing around like nothing happened. "

"Hey what can I say, I have a reason to now."

"Oh yeah?, and what is that?" I ask.

"Well, to be able to make sure I can be ready for our first dance ... and carry you on our wedding night." He says winking. I push him slightly with my hand that is on his shoulder and he chuckles , "Ha ha Sorry."

"Its a good thing I love you sometimes Mellark."

"I love you too Kat." I can't help but smile as he says it.

"You know a ring suits you Miss Everdeen." Peeta says.

"Ah yes, I've always been one for flashy jewels but this one is just simply stunning!" I say in a capitol accent causing us both to laugh.

As I am dancing with Peeta a tall man walks over to us and as he gets closer I recognise him as Seneca's replacement as head gamer , Plutarch Heavensbee.

"May I?" He asks Peeta who gives me a quick kiss before walking away.

"So how do you like the party Miss Everdeen?" Plutarch says. He is quite a simply dressed man not quite fitting up to the reputation of someone from the Capitol let alone head gamemaker. He wears a plain black suit his hair slicked across to the side and a simple gold watch on his wrist.

"It is a little overwhelming. There more food over there than there probably was at any point back in twelve."

"It's appalling. You have to admit people can be amusing. Still if you abandon your moral judgement it can be fun." He has some strange ideals of fun, but then again he is head gamemaker, what did I expect?

"So are you having fun Plutarch?" I say. We dance around the floor not a person interrupting us like people have been doing to Peeta and I all night to talk to us. Plutarch's position does seem to hold some power, or maybe its just out of respect.

He sighs slightly before replying, "I'm Head Gamemaker, fun is my job."

He doesn't seem so sure about his reply, "I thought that's what happened to Seneca Crane, too much fun." My comment got a slight chuckle out of him, well at least he is easy to talk to which I wasn't expecting.

"Seneca decided to...quit breathing."

"Decided?" Now that I hardly believe.

"It was that or nightlock berries, you remember the don't you?" Oh so this is my fault. Nothing new there then. "I think Head Gamemaker's never been the most secure job in the world and yet here I am."

"And why are you here? If your job is so insecure why take it?"

"For the same reason as you, I volunteered."

"But why?"

"Ambition. A chance to make the games mean something. This year its my chance and a quarter quell is nothing to be sniffed at."

I shake my head, "The games don't mean anything, they only mean to scare us."

"Well, maybe it's you who inspired me to come back." I look at him confused and he presses a dial on his watch causing it to light up but when I look closer I notice the lights form a shape. A mockingjay.

The music changes to announce the arrival or President Snow.

"Ah, the Presidential welcome. I'm sure we'll meet again Miss Everdeen," and with that he walks away and Peeta comes to my side.

"What was that all about?" Peeta asks.

"He has a mockingjay symbol?" Was the only thing I could say. Peeta looks at me in confusion as I say it like I looked when Plutarch showed it to me.

Effie appears behind us and ushers us along back towards the Palace itself, "Come along. The president awaits."

Peeta holds out his arm for me to take and I loop mine within his as we walk, "Do you think we managed to convince him?" He asks.

I sigh, "I don't think there is anything else we could have done."

***

Hey guys what do you think?

I was thinking about doing a chapter about what is going on with President Snow and Plutarch, why do you think? Or should I just carry on with staying on Peeta and Katniss's side of the story?

Hope to hear from you soon :)

-Alannah xxx