29. Fighting

Haymitch's POV

Effie, Peeta and I have been sat watching the television for about and hour when Katniss's prep team walk back in the room.

"How is she?" Peeta asks as soon as they enter the room.

"She's fine Peeta, we've just left her to have a bath. She wanted some time just to chill down I think..." Octavia answers him and seems to relax a bit.

"Oh good," I says sitting back in the chair.

"Your turn tomorrow mate," I joke,"they going to wax your legs too?" I tease and he laughs properly for truest time I've heard in a while.

"Oh of course Haymitch you know how much I love the pleasure of having my hair ripped out of my body..." He replays sarcastically but Effie interrupts.

"Now you know how us girls feel Peeta. Isn't that right Octavia? The chores of being a girl!"

"Amen to that!" Octavia exclaims and me and Peeta just laugh at them.

"Why so funny?" Effie asks.

"Well you subject yourself to that..." I go to answer but Effie interrupts once again.

"It is hardly beseeming to not my dear Haymitch.... Not everyone wants to sleep next to a gorilla like you !" She says with a laugh and when I look up I see Peeta raise his eyebrows and smirk. That boy might know more about Effie and I then he lets on, not that Effie has at all helped the situation here.

"Pfft anyone would be lucky to sleep next to me darling," I say sarcastically before taking a swig of my liquor.

"You keep telling yourself that Haymitch dear," she says patting me on the leg causing Peeta to roll his eyes an laugh. Once e stars laughing so does everyone else so I just shrug my shoulders and laugh with them when we are interrupted by a loud thud.

"What the bloody hell was that!" Venia shouts causing Octavia and Flavius to look at her in shock, that girl is the most timid and quietest you would ever meet an she manages to come out with that.

"Katniss!" Peeta screams charging through the carriages like a mad man possessed. Shit! I didn't even think that it could be the girl. I storm after him throwing myself over the couch as it was quicker than walking around and follow only steps behind him as we race down the train.

Entering Katniss's room Peeta and I both start frantically charging around the room looking for her when I hear Effie's heels clattering along the floor as she shouts to us, "She's in the bathroom!" She says pushing past me in the dressing room and going straight to the bathroom clattering against the door as it doesn't open.

"She must have locked it... Dammit Katniss !" I shout banging on the door.

Peeta starts doing the same, kicking and punching the door in every attempt to open the door, "Katniss sweetie open the door please!" He says frantically but when she doesn't answer he slumps down to the floor holding his head in his hands.

"Honestly boys there's other ways other than brute force to open a door," Effie says leaning on my shoulder and messing around with her shoes.

"I don't think now is the right time to be undressing sweetheart," I say giving her a puzzled look.

"Like I said Haymitch...more than one way," she says taking off her shoes and turning it upside down she presses the heel into the crack of the door and forces it sideways sending the door sliding open.

"Effie you are a genius!" I say placing a hand on either cheek and pulling her in for a kiss. After a moment she steps back in shock  and mouths Peeta's name to me but I just shrug my shoulders and head into the bathroom after him. He won't take anything about me kissing Effie, it was just a spur of the moment thing, at least that's all he needs to think.

Peeta is stood over the bath attempting to lift Katniss up out of the water but she just keeps sliding back down under her own weight. Rushing over I jump into the bath and pull Katniss up throwing her arms over my shoulder and lift her out of the water. Stepping out I crouch down to pass her to Peeta, "keep her on her side and try massaging her back. We want any water she might  have swallowed  to come out her system." He nods slowly and he does as I've said so I assume he took it in.  A second or so later he does just that, rolling her slightly on to we side one hand rubbing her back and other holding her  stomach, "Effie darling I need you to make sure he does exactly what I've said and try talking to her, maybe it will help her come around. Although I'm not so sure how hard she hit her head. Her robe is over my the bath try and wrap her in it to keep her warm. Oh and ring the hospital and let them know to expect her, we won't be long." With that I got to head out the room but she pulls me back.

"Wait where are you going?!" She asks frantically.

"This train is going to take a little detour. If we're where I think we are, district two is only minutes away and that's where we need to head. That girl needs a doctor and I don't care who thinks they are going to stop me. I'll drive the train myself if I have to." I say before rushing off to the control room. Slamming my hand on the control panel the door fires open,"Change of plan boys were heading to district two."

"And why would we do that?" Some pompous boy says spinning around on his chair to face me.

I let my anger take hold and grab him by his collar yanking him up so his face was only inches away from my own, "You'll do it because I told you to lad. Do you know who I am?" I ask and he nods quickly, " then you'll know I could slit your throat before you even had a chance to blink."

"You wouldn't dare..." He manages to force out with my hand now moved to around his neck.

"Oh I wouldn't would I?" In one swift motion I pull my knife from by belt and jam it into his leg, with my other hand never moving from his neck, "Re direct the train. Or next time you won't be so lucky as for it to be your leg," I say slowly sliding the knife out of his leg causing him to yelp in pain. Turning to the boy in the other chair I stare at him, "I think you might need to take your friend here to the hospital too when we get there, I haven't hit any major arteries but he'll lose a fair amount of blood if you're not quick," and with a smirk I leave slamming my hand once again on the control pad and the door slams shut behind me. "Stupid boy."

****

Ah I loved writing this... Haymitch to the rescue!!! I don't think most writers give him as much credit as he deserves so I try to I make up for them all 😛

Hope you liked it!

-Alannah xxx