9. Together for the first time

Warning this chapter gets a little racy near the end but not in too much detail!

Katniss's POV

District one wasn't all as bad as I imagined it to be. Not a word came from anyone as I spoke, from the cards Effie gave us I might add, " The tributes of this district will reign as noble warriors through our honor to their families and prayer to their people. We are all of us united, both victors and vanquished, in serving a common purpose. The power and glory of the Capitol." The crowd quickly became restless as my words echoed throughout the district they all knew it wasn't what I would really say but I didn't want to cause a scene especially after what happened at eleven. "Panem today. Panem tomorrow. Panem forever." Me and Peeta are pulled of the stage as the crowd becomes rowdy and the peacekeepers take over.

We walk through the justice building of district one in silence following Effie's lead. Peeta grabs my hand as we walk along and I turn to look at him and catch him smiling. He mouths something at me that I don't quite catch and he must tell by my confused look that I didn't hear, "Are you OK?" He mouths again.

I just shrug my shoulders, "As good as can be ," I mouth and he squeezes my hand. I honestly don't think I could get through any of this without him.

As we reach the train station Haymitch stops in front of us, "Meet me at the back of the train, I want to talk to you both." He says before walking back to Effie's side.

I push Peeta's shoulder with me free hand, "Uh oh what have you done now?"

He just laughs at me, "Me? I think you find I'm the good one here!"

"Ouch that hurt Peeta ... But probably true." I say sticking my tongue out at him.

We walk straight past our prep teams both of us still laughing at eachother as we walk along the train but nobody trys to stop us although I hear a comment from Cinna as we walk past, "Well at least they're themselves again ... I don't think I could cope with the tension any longer."

As we reach the end carriage of the train we sit down and both look out the windowas we pull out of the station, "Goodbye district one, I hope to never have to see you again!" I say waving to the empty station.

"Now that I totally agree with!" Peeta exclaims, "well unless you plan on making friends with the mentors of district one?" He says trying not to laugh but it doesn't last for long.

"Oh yes ... Best friends !" I say and we both end up in fits of laughter when Haymitch walks into the room.

"Well I'm glad you two have everything sorted .. I was thinking I might have to crack Peeta on the head with one of my bottles ... And the would have just been a waste of good liquor." He says as he throws him self down on the opposite couch to Peeta and I. "Now what I wanted to speak to you about. Snow is watching us. If he wants you to pacify the districts, I can promise you, he's not happy. Instead of being in love you two sound like you're reciting from a drilling manual. There's just no emotion."

"You should try reading that stuff Effie writes us." Peeta interjects.

"I think you'll forget I've done my time Peeta Mellark and I did read from the scripts my Escort gave to me."

"Yeah right!" Peeta grunts.

"You two need to start acting like you actually feel something for eachother like you are off camera, it seems like you get in front of people and you show no affection when you're pretty happy with doing it infont of me!"