24. Our toasting

Katniss's POV

The Toasting is a marriage ritual in District 12, where a newly wed couple cross the threshold into their new home, make their first fire together, and toast a piece of bread. So although the house isn't new to us as Peeta has lived there since the end of our games last year, the point of the toasting is more than still there for us.
I make my way across the now dark victor's village following the lights that lead across the courtyard between our houses and towards Peeta's. As I reach the bottom of the path he comes running out of the door, "Oh no no no you don't move another foot!"

I freeze on the spot not wanting to move another muscle in case anything happens, "What why?!" I shout back at him as he comes and  stops in front of me.

"If we're going to do this then I want to do it properly," he says taking my hand but I push his shoulder with my free hand.

"I thought something was wrong you muppet!" He just smirks slightly, "Go and get Portia then if I am not allowed to move," I say sticking my tongue out and he heads back in to the house.

A few minutes later he comes out with Portia in tow. "Oh Katniss's my dear don't you look ravishing!" She says coming over and giving me a tight hug, not unlike Cinna's.

"Thank you Portia. Cinna wanted you guys to work on the chariot outfits and told me to tell you that he is in my room when you are ready."

"Thank you my dear I will head over now.. Don't you two enjoy tonight too much... I'll see you in the morning!" She calls as she walks away and over to my house.

"Are you ready for this?" Peeta says to me holding out his hand.

I take his hand and look up at his big blue eyes,"More than I'll ever be," I say with a quick smile.

"Well in that case then..." He leans down and pick me up bridal style in his arms and I can't help but laugh, "Lets get the show in the road then shall we Kat?"

"Indeed we shall," I reply placing a soft kiss on the side of his cheek.

He walks us up to the big wooden front door and pushes his back against it forcing it open,"Cheater," I say sticking my tongue out.

"Oh you wanted to see me struggle with the door did you," he says with a smirk.

"Yes I did actually... I mean carrying me and opening the door I think it would have been hilarious to watch, especially from in your arms where I could see the confusion on your face as you tried to figure it out," I laugh.

"Well I'm sorry to disappoint Missy but I wanted this to be perfect so I have thought of every eventuality," he says stepping into the house, "Tonight is our night."

I can't help but smile as I know he's right. He will have thought of every single detail and what he could do. I place my hand on his cheek almost forcing him to look down at me, "Peeta, as long as I'm with you it will be perfect." He smiles and gives me a quick kiss on the forehead before I speak again, "Wow this baby really has made me gone soft," I realise and Peeta bursts out laughing at me.

"I have finally seen the day Katniss's has gone soft," he says with a wink,"although I can't say I don't enjoy the feisty you. I mean after my interview last year when you pushed me up against the wall I don't think I have liked you anymore than I had before that moment."

"Ok ok enough with the soppyness its too much for me.."

"And there's the Katniss I know and love," Peeta laughs. "Ready?" He asks and I nod gently as I places me gently down to stand alone.

I throw my arms over his shoulders as he wraps his around my waist and we just stand there happily in each others embrace, "I love you Peeta," I say standing on my tip toes to give him a quick kiss on the lips.