Chapter Twenty-Four: Nico di Angelo and his Greatest Fuck-Up...Ever

If someone had told Nico four months ago that he would be in a happy relationship with a human, he probably would have turned them into a carrot, or some other evil vegetable. And yet, here he was. Though while Percy wasn't completely human with the whole, speaking to animals' thing, he was still very human, probably about 96% if he wanted to be exact. Nico doesn't understand what it is about Percy but all that hate for humans is gone; as if it never was. And Nico wanted to spend the rest of his life with Percy; which was a very long time indeed.

"You're thinking about something, something depressing." Nico's eyes snap to meet a pair of bright green ones, the witch raises an eyebrow.

"How do you know it's something depressing?" He replies, Percy chuckles and looks back to Thalia who's lounging on the couch, Bianca's sleeping form lying across her lap, "it wasn't." Nico adds quietly.

Percy nods, half interested by hardly listening, "got any sixes?"

"Go fish," Thalia replies, Percy huffs and carefully picks up a card, "any fours?"

Nico looks down at his book, written in an ancient faerie language, a legend about a 'forbidden love'. Well that, or a potato stick. But judging by all the sonnets it was forbidden love, Nico had never been very good at reading languages. The living room the three of them sat in was in a peaceful quiet, Nico reading, Percy and Thalia quietly playing cards, using Bianca's cheek to stack the deck.

"You suck." Percy grumbles as he passes over his black four, Thalia beams and open her mouth to reply but a jet of fire through the room cuts her off.

To his credit, it wasn't Nico who shrieked loudly (that was Percy) but in hindsight, he didn't need to jump into the air and bear hug the chandelier. Also (in hindsight) they should also replace chandelier chains every now and again because a one hundred-and-fifty year old chain cannot hold both Nico and the chandelier. And so, it promptly smashed and Nico was sent crashing to the ground beneath the fancy light.

"Nico!" Percy cries, Nico groaned but he can hardly hear himself over Thalia, Leo and Jason's howling laughter, Percy appears beside him, looking concerned but he's struggling to keep giggles in.

Nico shoves the light off himself and leaps to his feet, ruffling his wings as a shower of feather falls around his feet, he hisses at them all, his ears flattening against his head, but that only makes them laugh more.

"What on earth..." Bianca grumbles rubbing her eyes and sitting up, sending the cards fluttering onto the floor, she looks around the room and quickly puts two and two together, then sighs and shakes her head, "of course, Leo's here."

"What do you want Valdez?" Nico growls, Leo sniggers and flops down on the couch, Jason following as he removes the heavy black clothing that protected him from the sun. Though Leo isn't looking his best, his nose is red, the tip charred black, he's slouching a little and his eyes are red.

"Just v-v-achoo!" Leo sneezes loudly, a jet of fire shooting from his nose and into his waiting hands which absorb it hastily, Nico sags and sighs over dramatically.

"You have a cold."

"He burnt down a tree." Jason frowns, Nico stares at Leo.

"You have a cold..."

"I know, what's your point?" Leo asks looking a little nervous, a bit of liquid fire dribbles down his face, he sniffs loudly and wipes his face.

"What happens when you get a cold?'

"You know what...happens...my fire acts up?"

"Then why..." Nico says through gritted teeth, "are you here?" His voice echoes around the room, he's trying to look intimating but there's glass shards in his hair and one wing is crumpled with the imprint of the chandelier, so everyone bar Leo is giggling quietly at him.

"I want some... achoo!" Nico screeches as a jet of fire singes his hair, he makes a loud noise and falls to the ground defeated.

"I'll get you some fire resistant tissues and some tea." Bianca offers, Leo looks to her and smiles gratefully, "anyone want to give me a hand?" He glances around the room, Nico sulking on the floor, Thalia still in fits of laughter while trying to pick up the cards, Jason chuckling, Leo looking sheepish and Percy quietly smiling and ruffling through his cards. He meets Bianca's eye and smiles.

"I'll help, Bia'." He stands and dusts himself off and trots out of the room with Bianca, chatting about the bells the witch had put on her tail.

"So... Nico?" Leo tries, his voice nasally from his blocked nose, he sniffs and looks like he's about to sneeze again but luckily he doesn't.

"I'm not talking to you." Nico snaps, Jason chortles and Leo whimpers causing Nico to grin a little despite himself.

"The beast smiles!" Jason cries, Nico rolls his eyes and sits up, avoiding the chandelier, he'd have to fix that soon but he'll wait until Hazel or Bianca yells at him to do it before he does. Procrastination is key.

"You never used to be this happy," Leo remarks, Nico sits crossed legged in mid-air and arches an eyebrow at Leo who continues after a weak sneeze, "ever since Percy came into the picture, it's like you're a completely different person."

"Percy's..." Nico makes vague gestures with his hands, Leo grins cheekily.

"The bet stated you only had to make the human fall in love with you, no-" A tingle of smashing china interrupts Leo, Nico's head snaps to the noise to see Percy, a dropped tea cup at his feet.

"A bet?" Percy whispers hoarsely, Nico's eyes widen horrified, he scrambles to his feet and tries to grab Percy but the boy scuttles backwards as tears gather in those green eyes.

"No-no, Percy its n-not-" Nico scrambles for words, trying to reach Percy, "I-I."

"It's all been a bet to you?" Percy yells, "Did I mean anything to you at all?" He angrily wipes his eyes and moves backwards to the doorway.

"Percy-" Nico tries again, he moves forward but trips on the chandelier, he falls crashing to the ground, his palms and knees scraping at the group and bleeding.

"I just hope your winnings were worth it." Percy snarls, his blurry figure turning and vanishing, the front door slamming behind him.

Nico's shaking, blood leaking from his hands and legs. A cold feeling sits in his gut as something wet slides down his cheeks; and he realises he's crying.

Wow...that was fun. I'm a terrible person, I'm so, so sorry about that wait. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter all the same, this story is nearing it's end and I know it's all terribly cliche but I HAVE A PLAN! sort-aa....

So that fabulous cover you see was made by the amazing Charlie_BlackAdder so a giant, giant thank you to her. I love it so much! The next chapter should be up soon :)

Love Percy xx