Close Call

Today was the day. It was their last day together. They'd been married for 7 years. Out of nowhere he asked for a divorce. Even though it hurt her she always wanted him to be happy. The lawyer was coming to their house and they would both sign the papers finalising the split. She was getting custody of the child they had but he would be allowed to visit on weekends and at her discretion take him to stay at his. Her heart was breaking.

'Edison Miller-Sweet,' he signed his name as the bottom of the form. "Can you please sign with your maiden name," the lawyer said.

She ran. She ran into the laundry closet and up the stairs into the attic. It was still there in a box.

PEDDIE

It was written in cursive on the front of the book with Amber's pink glitter gel pen. She flicked open to the first page. They were coated in carrots. 'Getting down and dirty,' was scrawled at the bottom with a pink pen. Next was a picture of them at the prom. It was awkward and they both had their masks on concealing their faces. The picture had another caption, 'hiding their faces just like they hide their love.'

Amber was too smart for her own good. If she didn't go into fashion designing she should've become a psychologist. She could read people like books, it was a real talent.

The next page was a collage. Two ticket stubs from Sick Puppies, a movie ticket from their first proper date, a receipt for dinner that time he managed to get her into a restaurant along with many other memories from their time together. A few tears escaped her eyes and she closed the scrapbook and clutched it to her chest. He didn't understand the pain she was gong through. She want even given a reason for their divorce. It was a simple lets gets divorced type thing that she never saw coming. Their were no fights, no arguments and she hadn't been seeing anyone else, in fact that morning he'd said he loved her. Maybe it was all just a lie.

About halfway through the book, a small corner of a piece of paper was sticking out. She was drawn to it.

"Dear Yacker," she read aloud, "I don't exactly know how to tell you this. You say you hate me but I swear I heard you and Joy. I really like you, why can't you see that? Just please, let me in. I want to be the one to soften you up. I want to be the one to make you smile. I want..."

"...to be the one who can love you with all my heart," he continued, standing behind her.

"Might as well burn this," she said coldly, referring to the scrapbook. "I was wrong," he said. "Yeah I get it. You were wrong to chose me over KT. You were wrong to waste all your time with me. You were wrong when you said you love me," she sighed, "don't rub it in."

"Actually, he rubbed his neck awkwardly, "I was wrong to think I could ever live without you. I was wrong to think there was anyone in the world who could make me happier than you do. I was wrong to stop saying a loved you when my heart never stopped."

"Then why file?" she asked curiously, "and if you say you took advice from Alfie I will go down at sign that paper right now."

"I researched. The Osirion is not meant to settle down. I figured we would all be happier if I left and lived life myself. If it was part of me to be a lone wolf then I thought maybe I never really loved you. It was when you ran out that room downstairs. I could've screamed for you to sign, I couldn't left you to come back but I followed you. My heart told me to follow you. If I was meant to live life alone my heart wouldn't have said anything. Truth is I love you and getting that paper drawn up was the worst decision I ever made," he said stepping closer with ever sentence. His eyes were brimming with tears. She really believed him. He had tried so hard to get them to work that she couldn't help but believe everything he just said.

"Let's just forget about it all," she suggested, "but if you ever scare me like that again, they will be bringing back the death penalty for what I do." He leaned forwards and kissed her.

"Mr Miller, Miss Wiliiamson, will you be signing soon," the lawyer called up the stairs. Eddie ran down and explained that his services were not longer required before he went back and engaged in his previous activities with his wife.

--------------

Sorry for the rubbishy chapter but I had my dress rehearsal for dancing tonight and I just wanted to get this up. I've been getting quite a lot of nice comments and it actually means the world to me. I love you all loads. Remember to fan, vote, comment and I'm adding a new one here, prompt me for the stories you want.

Sibuna !