My Element

COPYRIGHT 2013

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

****

Every month me and my dad have a day out. A day out of life.

A day when we can pretend to be normal.

A day when I can be a normal teenage boy. When I don't mean anything at all, when I am free, and no one is trying to kill me, and no one scrutinizes me with eyes that seem to shred apart my very soul.

No. Once a month, I am just me.

Daniel Blake.

What makes me so special?

I have one thing about me that makes people snicker behind cupped hands as soon as they see the decorative gold chain. I have a charm. It's circle with a jade stone set in the back, it has metal gilded into a dragon and a phoenix, each touching a small, metal fire at the heart. It symbolises my Element. The element I can manipulate and control. 

My dad, Bryan, always tells me we can't be sure I am the Fire Element, but I know I am.

I speed down the lane, feeling the wind on my face, as my legs pump the pedals of my bike, Bella, my Alsatian (probably more for protection than for companionship) running next to me.

"Slow down, Dan! What if something happens?!" Bryan practically screams at me. I reluctantly slow down, my thoughts turning back to my life. My happy expression falls, and I think Bryan sees it as I slow down to a stop.

"Daniel. We can't have these days, if your gonna be irresponsible!" He claps a hand on my shoulder, and we start up again. Slower this time.

---

We round the corner, me a little further in front.

"Crap." I mutter. Ahead of me is four men, armed to the teeth with guns. Bella growls. Bryan utters colourful words, as the colour drains from his face.

"RUN!" I take heed, I spin my bike around, pedaling fast, with a new urgency, Bella runs at my side, her hackles up. I hear gun shots ring out, and I am wracked with worry.

I come to a halt at a gate, carelessly throwing my bike on the floor, I spring over a gate, charging through the field. Despite the urgency, I try not to trample the small shoots of crops that are sprouting, Bella looks up at me, I try to smile back, but she whimpers. That dog knows me too well, I swear to you.

I look behind me, and see a figure run towards me, dressed in black. I turn down the side of the field, disappearing around a corner. I sprint across the next field, seeing an oppurtunity to disappear, I scramble down an Earth mound, haring down the narrow ditch that lay behind it. I look around wildly for Bella, she stares down at me from the top of the Earth mound, and whines. She disappears in the opposite direction. I'm lost for words, but a small, sad smile creeps upon my lips.

At least she'll live.

I continue down my path. I hear a rushing river before I see it. I splash across it, not realising the initial, calm depth of the first part, before almost being swept of my feet by the shallow fast body of the river.

It was freezing, and I yelped in surprise. I thunder up on to the pebbled shore, disappearing onto the foliage. I appear on to a path, and search around desperately for somewhere to hide. I hear my attacker heaving himself up the shore.

I swing myself up into a tree, climbing as high as I can. I hope this guy is stupid. The man creeps into view, and I catch my breath. He slowly turns in a full circle. I see my necklace is in sight. I hurriedly stuff it under my T-shirt. The man stops, and cocks his head. His face slowly breaks out into a cruel smile, and I feel a sinking feeling in my stomach. He knows where I am.

****

Hi :) Thanks for reading chapter 1, please don't be a silent reader! Please vote, comment or fan, I don't mind which :L 

I hope you enjoyed it ;)

Have a good day/morning/afternoon/evening ;)