Voiceless • Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

   Jay noticed what I was doing, and what it meant, but he just shook his head and sighed. But I could see the slight upward movement of the corners of his lips, and I smiled at him, intentionally biting my lip in the process.

   Let’s make today a happy day. I wrote on my notebook. No sad faces for today, or there’ll be a consequence.

   Jay laughed when he read my note and said, “Fine. I take the dare.” I rolled my eyes at him and lowered my body, making my head lie nearer and nearer my folded arms, which were lying on the railing.

   “Wanna play video games?” Jay asked. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “What?”

   I’m not used to playing video games.

   “Oh.” He said. “Then what in the world do you do for entertainment?”

   I shrugged. Piano? Books?

   “Wow.” Jay said. “You are such a girl.” I nudged him with my elbow. “Ow!” He exclaimed. I chuckled. “Ugh. C’mon, let’s just play. I’ll teach you.”

   I followed Jay to his room. We exited the balcony, closed the sliding door, and walked towards the first room to the right. There were two rooms on the left, but I’m not that curious to ask Jay who sleeps in those rooms. I just followed him in his room, which is messier than I thought boys could make.

   There were things everywhere. A laptop, I’m assuming is his, is lying on his bed, there were also books lying on the floor, and his bed wasn’t arranged perfectly.

   You seriously need some cleaning to do. I wrote on my notebook.

   “Yeah… well, I kind of forgot that my room was still… you know.”

   I couldn’t help but let my lips smile a bit. Want me to clean it for you?

   “What? No!” He said. “Why would I let you clean my room?”

   Well… I don’t have much to do anyway.

   “No.” He said. But I ignored him and took one book from the floor, then wrote: I’m too girly, eh?

   “Okay, maybe reading books isn’t ‘girly’.” He flailed his hands when he said the word, which made me laugh. He raised his eyeglasses properly again.

   I read the title of the book, and narrowed my eyes. Sherlock Holmes?

   You read Classics? I wrote, and showed it to him. “Yeah? What’s the problem?”

   I blankly looked at him. He reads Classics. Whoa. I myself get bored when I read Classics.

   “I thought you read books.” He said. “What do you read?”

   Fiction. Teen Fiction. Jay shivered, like he was grossed out. “Girly.” He muttered. I narrowed my eyes at hip and pursed my lips. Mean.

   Jay laughed, but I just rolled my eyes. “Xbox or Wii?” I cocked my head. “Just pick one, even if you don’t know what it is.”

   I was about to write Hey, I know Wii to defend myself but instead I wrote: Xbox.

   “Awesome. We can play… uh… do you play action games?”

   My eyes lit up. I LOVE them!