Voiceless • Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

   But this is Jay I’ll be with, and I’ve been with him for the past few days to know that he won’t be that kind of scary teen guys, or maybe that’s just my paranoid ego talking.

   So I nodded, taking his hand and continuing to sip my milkshake while we walk outside my house, my notebook and pen being held by the same hand that was holding my milkshake.

   “Where are you two going?” Trisha’s voice made us stop in our tracks. Oh, right, we need to tell her. She’s our “housekeeper” for today, which made Trisha very annoyed because she wants to hang out with her friends and enjoy her “Summer Vacation”. It just started three days ago, you see.

   “Ah, Trisha.” Jay said, biting his lip. I could see him perfectly beside me. I licked my lips in worry. I wonder if Trisha will let us leave? “We’re… uh… going to my house?” Jay’s sentence became a question, which resulted to Trisha making a weird face, shaking her head in confusion.

   “What–” She said, then inhaled hard and straightened her body. “Okay. Just come back an hour or an hour and a half later, okay? I don’t want you two sneaking out without my permission.”

   See, I thought to myself, Even Trisha doesn’t have a problem with you going alone with Jay.

   “Uh…” Jay said, “Okay.”

   That was when we left the house, Trisha watching us carefully with crossed hands and a strict face. I never knew my older sister can be as strict as that. I always see her so childish and girly that I never even knew that it was possible for her to be serious.

   Oh, well. I guess we just don’t hang out that much for me to know it.

   “Hah, sneak out.” Jay mumbled. “Yeah, right. And where in the world can we go if we decide to sneak out.”

   The park? I wanted to say, but I didn’t write it on my notebook, my hands were too full.

   Once Jay opened the front door, I slowly entered my head first before my whole body, making careful steps. I wasn’t too disappointed when I saw that Jay’s house was as normal as a human would live in. House Appliances, electronics, a flight of stairs leading to the second floor, and, well, I don’t know… More normal stuff.

   “Come on, I’ll show you the best part.” Jay said, locking the front door and grabbing my wrist, leading me upstairs to a sliding door.

   That was when I realized that there was a balcony connecting behind Jay’s house. And it was just simply... wonderful.

   “You like it?” Jay asked. I nodded. It’s beautiful! I wrote, and showed it to him. That was when I realized that I was smiling widely. My now empty milkshake is lying on the railing of the balcony in front of me. The view was perfect: I can see the whole park in front of me, like it’s my own property, and the fresh air touching our skin made me feel happier. I could see the mall Trisha usually goes to; a tiny, little dot, but I can still see the whole building. The birds flying endlessly in the blue sky weren’t something you can tire looking at easily.

   It was simply wonderful.

   “I’m glad you like it.” He said. “She didn’t.”

   I was about to ask Who’s “she”? But I stopped myself. It was her, for sure.

   I nudged Jay’s elbow with my own, telling him to stop thinking about it and just have fun for Pete’s sake. The view’s really good and it’s not right for him to ruin the moment by thinking sad thoughts.