54

- - - - -

Victoria sat in the chair and watched Yoona from behind as she cooked their lunch. All the years flew by in her memory and whether to consider it good luck or bad luck that she'd ended where she was, she didn't know.

"Can I ask," Victoria started, "why you and Donghae never got married?"

Yoona turned around surprised then smiled sweetly.

"Does it bother you that I ask?" Victoria worried.

"No, no. It's fine," Yoona assured turning back around. "Actually, I'm still a little hurt from it but it's a part of breaking up and moving on. It's a natural phase, I'd say."

Victoria didn't smile at her answer.

"We weren't in the same line of thought. It wasn't right for us from the first step," Yoona replied. "That's all, but it's not like we aren't friends anymore. Besides, isn't he going all out for you right now?"

"What?" Victoria asked. It wasn't surprise that made her ask it. It was guilt and feelings of apology.

"He told me once that he wants to do everything for you." Yoona told. "You know? Now that I think of it there are various ways in which you've changed him. The way I know him, he usually wants the other person to understand him first. He's the kind of guy who grew up under his parents' wings, in other words, under their orders and commands. Donghae never really did himself. But even as outspoken as he was he fell weak under his parents wishes. It's pretty sad, don't you agree?"

Was it? Victoria was unsure. It was hard to recall days when she was still with her parents.

"But in your case, he wanted to put you before himself. Donghae wanted to understand your world before you should worry about his. I've, honestly, never seen him do that before." Yoona went on.

They chatted a bit while eating lunch and straight after Yoona returned to her home when she received a call from her mother. While sitting alone in the apartment Victoria glanced at the naked walls in front of her.

Taecyeon's apartment didn't have a trace of family warmth at all. How had his family treated him while he grew up? Had he been pampered like Donghae had? Or had he grow up lonesome?

Victoria shut her eyes for a bare minute. Maybe Donghae was willing to do everything for her but she wasn't willing to go all out for him. There was no other clearer answer than the one she understood herself.

"My mom would like it if we could get married."

Victoria sighed. Donghae was just another sad soul she'd met along the way on accident. They weren't supposed to have fate. There was no line of luck between the two of them...only because they were too different. She was ill fated...he was blessed with luck. And she didn't want to destroy all the luck he had before him.

Upon these thoughts Victoria drifted into a long slumber.

She awoke when the doorbell rang. The second her eyes opened with surprise she had thought it was Taecyeon, so without much pondering she got up from the couch and opened the door with an unknown smile on her face. The smile slowly disappeared when she saw Donghae standing there.

"Can I come in?" he asked with a smile.

Wild thoughts of rejecting his offer ran about in her head...but she couldn't say no. She ended up nodded and allowed him in closing the door behind him.

"Do you want something to drink?" Victoria asked heading toward the kitchen but as she reached the kitchen entrance she came to a stop when he spoke.