18

- - - - -

"Who are you looking for?" asked the receptionist from behind. "You waiting for her?"

Taecyeon allowed his eyes to gaze around, "No."

The receptionist smiled the kind of smile that said "I know it anyway."

"The boss didn't come in. She probably won't be coming in to wait for him," the receptionist replied.

"The CEO didn't come in?" Taecyeon spun around. "Again?"

- - - - -

Victoria found herself sitting on top of a picnic table staring at the leaves vibrating all different shades of dead green to brown. They were ugly. Dried up and ready to float away, ready to crumble and become flakes. Victoria sort of wished she were like that. But no. She was still alive after all that time.

In front of her skinny bleak trees stood bunched together. Enough to create a fence. Or good enough to play hide and seek in at night.

"Here," Donghae said walking up from behind then appeared at her side.

Behind her was a playground and the parking lot. Donghae had driven to a small park somewhere that was assumed to be haunted. Barely any children came to play anymore was what he told her. Victoria didn't know if she bought the story or if she did believe it at all.

Victoria grabbed the water bottle from him. It was warm unlike the cold wind flashing against her face telling her that she was alive and still going strong.

"You shouldn't have had to listen to that," Donghae apologized. "Sorry."

"Fiancée, that's someone you're bound to marry, isn't it?" Victoria asked staring at the bottle in her hands.

Donghae was quiet then said, "I've had some issues these past days. I didn't mean to make use of you for my own gain, or to get back at her. I'm not that type of vengeful person."

What humane words were there to say to him? Was she even humane enough to be speaking to this silly human beside her? Was she still even considered a human after killing so many human beings?

"But...thanks." Donghae thanked. "I know I've been running. I've always been a coward all my life."

Coward?

"Wait for me?"

Whatever did he mean by that?

"I'm going to fix things tomorrow. Don't let my mother's words get to you." he told then turned back toward the car. "Want to go? I'll send you back."

"No." Victoria told without turning to look at him. "This area's pretty close to the apartment. I can walk back."

"But it's cold..." he started.

Noticing the hint of awkwardness growing, Victoria turned to look at him with a smile. "I can walk back. I'll see you later."

Whenever "later" would be.

He looked at her a bit then said, "You shouldn't smile at others like that. So don't do it again, ok?"

Victoria tilted her head a little and watched him smile, "Drink up your water before it gets cold. Hurry and get back before you get sick. And pretend we didn't meet my mother today. Only good things should be remembered."

Victoria stared at him blankly and watched him walk away after a small wave. When the car drove off behind her she didn't bother to turn around. The leaves tumbled and rolled over one another on the ground reminding her of the matches they had back at the base. But the memories soon dispersed.