I'm the Drug in Your Veins, Just Fight Through the Pain

Summary: It was easier to not be than to be, Liam found, but Zayn has other ideas and he shows Liam that love may not solve all their problems, but a little addition of luck just may.

Sequel to While The Rockets Burn

By: Paralleltonone.archiveofourown.org

------------------

“I don’t want him anymore! You fucking win, Zayn!”

          That was where they started; with sleep broken by shouted words that echoed in the middle of the nowhere they were left stranded in. That was where they started; with hurried movements to cover up and with pleadings made with a woman who seemingly would have rather died than listen to him. That was where they started; with their savior being poured into the grassy field and with them left as stuck as they were before her arrival.

          That was where they started and, subsequently, where she and him ended. When Zayn fucking won.

          The end of Danielle and Liam’s relationship had been building long before she’d started trying to push her friends Zayn’s way and play matchmaker to distract him from Liam, long before Zayn spoke those three words to him over ironic Hip-Hop laced lyrics of bad religions and needing something different, long before that morning she pulled up behind her boyfriend’s car to answer an SOS their band mates sent out only to find him contented and nude in slumber with his best friend. Their relationship was teetering on the end long before any of those things because Zayn had Liam’s heart a lot longer than Liam ever let on to her.

          Zayn had Liam’s heart, mind and soul for over two years. Before they’d even formed that bond as band mates, Zayn had grabbed little pieces of Liam’s being, before Liam even knew it and well before Zayn did too.

Stepping outside the McDonald’s, Liam spotted the boy whose voice he’d been nearly captivated by earlier that day, maybe even envious of, because he was sure he was going to make it through.

“Hey, you did really good on your audition.”

“Thank you,” he smiled. “When do you go?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Well, best of luck to you. Although, I heard you singing in the hallway…and I don’t think you need any luck. You’ll get through without it.”

A blush crept over Liam’s cheeks at those words and a smile formed on his lips, “Thanks, mate,” he said and almost turned to walk away, but stopped to return to the other boy and extend his hand. “I’m Liam Payne.”

“Zayn. Nice to meet you.”

Shaking his hand, Liam couldn’t drop the smile on his face and it seemed Zayn couldn’t drop his either, “Nice to meet you too.”

Before hands had unlinked that day, his heart, mind and soul belonged to Zayn Malik.

________________________________________________________________________

          All Zayn didn’t own of his was body and with Danielle gone, there it was: Zayn’s for the taking, and Zayn took it. Without hesitation, he took it and Liam gave it. He gave Zayn all of him, all the time, even when pieces of Zayn went to Perrie.

“So, you guys are moving in together, huh?”

Zayn’s brows furrowed as he looked to Liam, “No,” he shook his head. “She just spends the night a lot. It’s not…like that…not serious like that.”