Window Payne

By: OUR VERY OWN ZaynsDjess on Watty :D

-----------------------------

Cold glass touched the coiffed boy's forehead. His large, golden eyes swept the city laid out in front of him; golden rays reflecting off his pupils. He was blocked from reaching out to it by the window in front of him, though. All he could do was look out for the one boy that always consumed his thoughts. His shaky hand dipped into his pocket to pull out his phone. The time was 12:20 p.m. It was the exact time that the said boy would leave his job for a short break.

Zayn's heart began to pound faster as he watched the puppy-like boy exit the bank across the street. It wasn't Zayn's fault that he was acting like a stalker--staring out of the window of his apartment at the same time each day. And it wasn't his fault that every time he caught a glimpse of this boy or thought of his face, his heartbeat sped up. If anything it was the boy's fault. Zayn didn't even know his damned name. The only things he knew was that the boy was a banker's assistant, liked the color purple, had a breathtaking smile, liked chocolate, and liked to go to the coffee shop everyday for his break. But, that wasn't enough. He wanted to meet the boy, talk to the boy, and keep the boy. OK, maybe that sounds a bit odd, but to Zayn, it sounded perfect.

The sun radiated off the boys short buzz-cut as he walked the four shops down until he was at the entrance to Dani's Coffee Shop. He flexed his shoulder muscles, trying to remove the uneasy feeling he had. It was the same feeling he had everyday when he walked to Dani's. It felt like eyes glued to his back. Zayn noticed this; he noticed everything that his crush did. And crush was the appropriate word for it. The longer he had to go without knowing him, the more his heart hurt. But, maybe it was for the best. What if the boy didn't want to know him? Or what if the boy thought he was weird. Perhaps he wasn't gay or bi, and quite frankly had a girlfriend.

Zayn's mind went numb as he grabbed his binoculars to watch through the bay windows of the coffee shop. Puppy-eyes walked up to the owner who was at the register. She was a beautiful girl with mocha skin and tight curly hair. Her smile grew larger as the boy approached, and they talked. Zayn counted the seconds. It was certainly longer than Puppy-eyes usual took to order his drink. His fists clenched as he though about that Dani girl flirting with his crush. Then he realized that he had no right to get angry. If he couldn't even make a damned move to ask the boy out, and instead sat like a stalker everyday and watched him, then he should just turn his mind off and get back to it.

Puppy-eyes grabbed his chocolate frappe. His lips twitched up into a smile, and Zayn's heart swelled with compassion. It was a small smile, one that didn't make his eyes crinkle like they usually did, but Zayn loved it anyway. The boy brought the steaming hot cup to his lips (Zayn could see the steam filtering from the capped cup with his expensive binoculars), and then exited the building slower than usual. Now, in the boy's mind, he was getting tired of having the same feeling of being watched everyday. It was reassuring, sure, but he would like to know who enjoyed watching him so much. That is, if there was someone. He was sure there was either way. He shook the thoughts from his mind, and just as he was about to turn to walk back to his job, something caught his eye. It was the apartment across the street. Every window's insides were blocked by curtains...except for one. It was a window that was a good way up; seven floors, maybe? As he squinted his eyes to figure out why he was drawn to it, he caught a glimpse of a head. The head was looking back at him. Then, like magic, it disappeared. A sinking feeling filled him, and he dashed back to work.

'You idiot! How could you be so reckless?!' Zayn shouted at himself mentally. This was all his fault. Why did he have to continue looking out until Puppy-eyes caught him?! All of it made him mad. But he couldn't stay away. The next day, he was back by the window, shifting to get comfortable on the small love seat in front of it. Puppy-eyes appeared again, but this time, he looked straight up to his window. The sunlight held no gleam either, so it's no doubt that the boy got a good glimpse of him. Zayn slapped himself and sunk down on the love seat. This couldn't be happening! Sure, he loved the lad more than anyone would think normal, but he didn't want to meet him. Or maybe he did. He had no idea because he was so torn and didn't know what would be better. His negative side got the best of him and he spent the next hour pacing like a madman.

On the next day, Zayn hadn't learned his lesson. His eyes were addicted to seeing his crush. His mind told him he'd regret it, but his heart told his mind to shut up. Puppy-eyes wasn't coming out of the bank, though. And Zayn began worrying as he pulled his phone out of his pocket to check the time; 12:30. Zayn was scared, but he continued to look out the window, hoping that maybe Puppy-eyes was getting held up by some frustrated customer. Nope. He didn't appear.

With time ticking by, Zayn became impatient. It was now 12:45. Still no sign of his love. His nails shrunk as he chewed them. All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door. Thinking it was one of his friends, Harry or Louis, he shouted out a grant of entrance. After all, no one else visited him, so it had to be them. Wrong.

Zayn watched out the window shamelessly, waiting for one of his mates, or both, to greet him, make a sassy remark at his past-time (they knew), or jump on him and tackle him like usual. Nothing. Zayn turned around slowly, hoping that neither of his friend were mad at him for God knows what. But nothing could prepare him for what he saw. His pupils dilated, and he sat gaping.

"Hi.." Puppy-eyes said awkwardly. He watched the handsome Pakistani lad with interest. After all, it isn't everyday that you find you have a stalker and decide to confront them. Zayn didn't reply. He just watched his crush with shock and shame.

'He caught me watching him..' He kept thinking.

"Why are you here?" Zayn finally asked.

"Why do you watch me all the time?" Puppy-eyes shot back with growing confidence. It didn't seem like the hot raven-haired boy could harm him. And even if he could, he thinks he would let him do what he wants. Yes, he was gay.

"Um.." Zayn trailed off.

"What's your name?"

"...Zayn" It was a hesitant answer. Could he trust him? He did love him, but you never know.

"Mine is Liam." Liam smirked at the boy. Did he really have this effect over him?

"How'd you get in, Liam?" However good the finally found name felt rolling off his tongue, he coundn't start fanboying.

"Uh, you let me in, Zayn." Liam replied while raising his eyebrow.

"I know.. but, did you need to ask Eleanor?"

"You mean the lady at the desk? Yeah." Liam said. "So, you watch me all the time, but now that you've met me, all you're gonna do is sit there?"

"Urg, sorry, mate. I just.." Zayn began.

"Really like me, right?" Liam finished.

"Yeah.." Zayn replied sheepishly.

"Well, you know, you could've asked me out or something. After all, you live right across from where I work."

"And get coffee." Zayn said without thinking. Liam looked at him funny before he burst out laughing.

"Wow, what else do you know?" He felt comfortable enough with Zayn, oddly enough, and he sat next to him on the small love seat.

"The corner of your eyes crinkle when you smile, you love coffee and chocolate, you're a banker at Horan's and Banking, you get coffee everyday for your break at 12:20, your favorite color is purple, and you look like a puppy." Zayn said. He had to catch his breath. Uh oh, he thought as he watched Liam's shocked face.

'Here comes the part where he yells and tells me I'm a freak.' Zayn winced and waited uncomfortably, gnawing his bottom lip.

"That's....the most.. adorable thing ever." Liam replied slowly. He couldn't control himself, and his hands gripped Zayn's face before he pulled him in. Their lips attached and fire spread through their faces. It was a simple, chaste kiss, but to Zayn, it meant everything. His eyes widened as they pulled back.

"So.. you don't hate me?" Zayn mumbled, looking at his feet. Liam pulled his face up gently.

"I think I'm starting to like you, actually. Wanna get some coffee?" Zayn's heart swelled with love and gratitude. This was his chance, his chance to prove himself! He could possibly get the boy of his dreams! Yes!

"Yeah. Come on, Puppy-eyes." Zayn said with a smile as they stood and walked to the door.

"Huh?" Liam chuckled.

"Nothing." Zayn replied with hot pink cheeks.