#48 Black and Gray and White *Ashton Irwin Soulmate AU*

Color.

You've never seen it before.

All you've ever seen was black and gray and white. As if you constantly had a screen over your eyes that removed all hues from your surroundings. Oh how you longed to be able to see the colors people talked about. How the sky was filled with blues and purples that soothed nerves and filled minds with imagination. How the grass was painted with greens and browns that freshened spirits and breathed with life. How the sun was glazed with yellows and oranges and reds that not only made your skin warm but your heart as well. You wished you could see the things that made life beautiful. But all you saw was black and gray and white. The sky was only a mixture of light grays and even lighter whites. The grass was only a couple shades of gray and black. The sun was merely a hue that wasn't quite white but not quite gray either. And you so longed to see the colors people talked about.

But even more than the colors, you longed to meet the person who was not unlike the missing puzzle piece that would complete your life.

~~~

Your soulmate.

You've never met them before.

All you've ever felt was black and gray and white. As if you constantly had a screen over your heart that removed hues from your feelings, your thoughts. Oh how you longed to find the person that would show you how to feel like others did. How the person who showed you blues and purples would be able to soothe your nerves and fill your mind with feelings you've never felt before. How the person who showed you greens and browns would be able to freshen your spirit and give you new life to breath. How the person who showed you yellows and oranges and reds could, with one touch, be able to make not only your skin warm but your heart as well.  But all you felt was black and white and gray. There was no one to soothe your nerves and fill your mind with new thoughts. There was no one to freshen your spirit and give you knew experiences. There was no one to grace you skin and heart with loving warmth. And you so longed to find the person that would show you how to feel like others did.

~~~

It was another lonely, colorless day.

You were walking through a lonely, colorless park.

Your eyes scanned hopefully for any trace of color in your surroundings. Maybe a small dash of the color green in the leaves dancing in the wind, or a streak of blue in the sky circling over your head like waves, or maybe even a dot of brown engraved on the old, worn benches scattered throughout the park. But, to your disappointment, you saw nothing but the same old black and gray and white. You only knew of the names of colors and where they took there place because of the people around who talked so loudly of it.

"The sky is so blue!" or "My favorite color is green. Like the leaves at the height of spring."

You've always felt some form of resentment for the people who could see color. It wasn't fair that you had to wait for someone you'd possibly never meet to experience the world in it's true form. It wasn't fair that people could put a color to the name when you couldn't. It wasn't fair.

You let out a sigh and stuffed your hands into your pockets as you kicked and glared at a small pebble. You've begun to lose hope of ever finding your soulmate a long time ago. Almost all of your friends had found their soulmates, leaving you to your filtered world alone. You were happy for them obviously, but you felt incredibly left out when you were with them.

Breathing out a long sigh, you turned your glare up to the sky, cursing it's colorless state. Shaking your head, you waltzed down the winding sidewalk, feeling the small breeze wisp against your bare skin, effectively cooling your previously rising irritation. As you continued to walk, you heard the unmistakable sound of gravel crunching under someone's feet behind you. Not bothering to see who it was, you continued to walk aimlessly through the park. After a couple minutes, you felt uneasiness prick at the back of your neck as the sound of gravel still echoed behind you. You quickly flicked your gaze back and did a double take at what you saw.

There, walking behind you with eyes trained on his feet, was a boy.

But this boy was unlike any boy you had ever seen before. His hair wasn't black and gray and white. It was something you've never seen before. A color you've never seen before. His skin wasn't grey or black but a soft color, one that could only be described as warm. His pants and his shirt were black but a black you've never seen before. There was hint of something underneath all the black that you just couldn't put your finger on. Returning your eyes to his face, you noticed a color on his lips that put the gray you used to always see on other's to shame.

It took you only a few seconds to make these observations; and in these few seconds, you had stopped moving without realizing. You were so wrapped up in the different shades and hues of his skin, his hair, his clothes; that you hadn't realized he was getting closer and closer until his tall, colorful body collided into yours.

It all happened in an instant. 

His hands immediately shot out to hold you steady and the beginning of an apology started to spill past his pretty lips before he was cut short by his eyes meeting yours, the whole world blossoming into even more hues you hadn't known had existed, but neither of you had noticed because you were standing so close to each other that all you could see were the other's eyes.

It could've been seconds, minutes, maybe even hours, that the both of you stood and stared into each other's eyes, memorizing the beautiful mixture of colors and tones that lived in the other's irises.

His were beautiful.

They had one color that was present more often than all the others with lighter versions of the base tone scattered within the dark. You hadn't seen any other people's eyes in color but you knew that his would forever be your favorite because even though they might of had color, his had something you'd never seen in anyone before. There was a sparkle, a twinge of something lively and awestruck and happy and exciting that found it's home beneath all the color.

Tearing your gaze from his eyes, you examined the wisps of his long, curly hair and how the sun shone off of it. You examined the bend of his body and the way he breathed and how his lips were spread wide in an uncontrollable smile and how his hands had found their way from your sides to your hands and how perfectly they felt in yours. Looking up at his eyes, you shot him a smile before taking a moment to look at your surroundings, the layers of color replacing the previously dull hues crashing over you like waves. You were overwhelmed and excited and completely, irrevocably happy all at the same time.

Suddenly, possibly the most beautiful voice you had ever heard called your attention from your surroundings. It was vibrant and deep; filled with the same things you had seen in his eyes.

"It's you," he breathed, his voice breathy and soft, almost as if he didn't believe you were real.

His hold on you was soft and careful, almost as if he was afraid you were a fragile piece of glass that, held too tight, would shatter and disappear.

"You're my soulmate," you whispered as a large smile crept it's way onto your lips.

"I'm your soulmate," he whispered back.

You felt tears prick your eyes as you realized that this was your soulmate. The person that would soon know you better than you knew yourself. The person that would love you to the ends of the earth. The person who was your other half, your missing puzzle piece.

The moment he saw the tears in your eyes, he pulled you closer to his chest, tears running down his face not unlike you.

Even though he was a stranger and you didn't even know his name, you felt incredibly safe. His arms around you already felt like home, the beat of his heart was already your favorite song, and the rise and fall of your chest already matched his.

"My names Ashton, love," he murmured with his lips pressed against your hair

"My names (Y/N), soulmate," you whispered back.

You didn't say anything and he didn't either, and the both of you didn't mind the silence. You just stood together on a day that no longer was lonely and colorless. You stood together in a park that was no longer lonely and colorless. You stood together and memorized the color you never had to hope for again in the arms of someone you never had to hope was real again; in the arms of someone who you were the closest and farthest away from; in the arms of your soulmate.