#33 Substitute Teacher *Ashton Irwin*

You shook your leg at your desk, anxiously waiting for your sub to come in. Your sister had gotten in an accident and her husband was off on a business trip and wouldn’t be back until he could book a flight, and seeing as he was snowed in at New York, you highly doubted he’d be able to get back soon. So, she had called you up early that morning and asked you to watch over her two kids, and you, being an awesome younger sister, had told her not to worry and that you had got it covered. 

        At the time, you had completely forgotten that you had a hundred something students to teach, and had rushed to find a substitute teacher that would take the job on such a short notice. The only taker was a so-called ‘Ashton Irwin’ and seeing as you had no time to do a background check on him, you prayed that he wasn’t some creepy, monotonous middle-aged guy that knew nothing about music.

        You sighed impatiently, your head shooting up as the door to your classroom opened, revealing a handsome man about you age, maybe a little older. He was wearing a nice red flannel and skinny jeans, his hair messy with glasses just barely clinging on to the edge of his nose. You felt your face grow hot as your eyes drifted to his arms. Seeing how muscular they were, you immediately knew that he was a drummer, a small smile creeping onto your lips.

        He came to a stop in front of your desk, a shy smile on his face. “Hi, I’m Ashton, the uh, the sub.” he introduced himself, stuttering over his words adorably.

         You giggled softly, internally smacking yourself. This is not the time to develop a crush! This is strictly business. “There’s no need to be nervous, it’s just me,” you smiled standing up and holding out your hand for him to take. He took it, a small smile on his face. As you made eye contact, you felt your cheeks heat up slightly, and you quickly broke the hand shake.

        “It’s not that miss, it’s just your extremely attractive and it’s very distracting,” he flirted, winking cheekily. Your mouth flew open at his words, your whole face flushing crimson. So much for keeping it strictly business.

        You cleared your throat awkwardly, deciding to change the subject, “Uh, w-well, today I didn’t really have anything planned so you can just, yea know, show off to the kids with your drumming skills or whatever,” you dead panned, looking anywhere but at him.

        “How do you know I play the drums?” he asked, the smirk he was wearing clear in his voice.

        “I just do, okay?” you snapped, coming off harsher then you meant to.

        He shrugged, a smile of victory replacing his previously cocky smirk, “Okay. Well all that seems easy enough. You go ahead, I got this covered.”

        You nodded, smiling gratefully at him. You grabbed your bag and started walking toward the door, blushing as you felt his gaze on you. You turned around just before you opened the door, finding him sitting on the edge of your desk. “Thank you by the way. For coming in at such short notice.”

        “Mhm, no problem.” he responded, smiling brightly. At that, you turned back around, swinging your door open and walking into the hallway.

        “Screw it,” you heard Ashton murmur just before the door closed, footsteps pounding behind you. You felt his hand wrap around your wrist, gently yanking you around so that you were facing him, a nervous smile on his face. You felt him place a small crumpled up piece of paper in your hand, which you guessed had his number, his expression suddenly shy. “When you’re finished with whatever you have to do, maybe we could yea know, go out sometime,” he muttered, his cheeks bright crimson.

        You nodded, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear, your cheeks growing hot as well. “Yea, I’d like that.”

        He smiled, an almost conflicted look on his face. Suddenly, he leaned down, pecking you on the cheek lightly. After he pulled away, he coughed awkwardly, a small, nervous giggle escaping his lips.

        After a few moments, he nodded awkwardly, releasing your wrist and rubbing the back of his neck. “So… I’ll just be over… here.” he spoke, opening the door back up and retreating back into your classroom, a sheepish smile on his face.

        You giggled and sighed contently, humming happily as you skipped down the hallway, happier then you’ve been in a long time.