Co-Parent

Khi

"She's mine." I look over the test results.

Ayesha sits across from me at the restaurant. "Yes."

"Fuck."

"Not happy?"

"Why the fuck would I be?" I fold the papers. "I can't even stand to be here right now and me and Cario-"

"Can we not bring his name up right now?"

"Why? That's my man." I glared at her.

"He's the reason everything changed."

"Ayesha, it was over before he came into the picture and you know that. Can't believe you got the audacity to sit up here and blame him."

"I'm sorry for cheating."

"No, you sorry I found that letter. You were fine with cheating. That shit didn't bother yo conscious in no way."

"Look, the baby shower next week. Think you can make it?"

"And pretend we together?" I sit back in the booth. "If I come imma bring Cario."

"Huh? Y'all out in the open now?"

"Yep. Pretty much."

She rolls her eyes and rubs her belly. She's definitely showing now. "I guess I can't do anything about him coming."

"Not a damn thing. I have to go home and break this news to him. So, we need to sit down and talk about the best way to co-parent. I hope you know he and I both will be dads to Khia."

"I don't want her calling him daddy."

"She can call him dad then." I shrug.

"You have to respect the fact that this is our child. Yours and mine."

"I understand and all decisions will be made between me and you. Cario, will be involved heavily in her life, though. You can't make things difficult because you still want me. Don't be on that, I can't see her cause I won't get back with you shit. Let's, make this as cordial as possible."

"I would like to have another chance with you, but don't think I'm just sitting around waiting. I don't have some grand, miserable plan of messing your life up. I want peace too. I guess Cario and I need to officially meet and have a conversation. Would that be something you're comfortable with?"

"Yeah, and I'm sure he would too. Not, right now though. There's too much going on." I think about Tonio.

"Well, whenever is good for me." She looks at me. "I know you were probably wishing she wouldn't be yours, but I'm thankful with how you going about it."

"It's not my daughter I don't want."

"You just ain't want her with me?" She looks sad.

"There was a time I did but I love Cario and we are finally getting back to us but so many things around us keep happening. This just wasn't the best time for this news. Either way, she's mine. Regardless, of everything, I'm ready to meet her." I was
being honest.

**************

Cario said he would try to work on some music at the studio, but that was code for wanting to be alone to drink. I wanted to take those bottles and hide them, but he was in pain.