Beat as One

***********************

Cario

Tonight at my show, during the song I made for Khi. I get choked up and had to stop for a second. My fans continue the song.

I pick up the bottle off the stool and sip on it while my fans sing. It's not like I caught them, but his heart told on him.

They definitely fucked.

He went against everything we both agreed on. "Louder." I say into the mic. Quickly pulling it away so it won't pick up on my broken voice.

"Ever love somebody so much that when that shit go bad it's like dying?"

"Awww Cario." Some fans scream.

"We love you!"

I smile. "Love y'all too." I stand close to the edge of the stage and they are all clapping for me...and the tears wet my cheeks. I go to wipe them, but fuck it. This is me. "A nigga heart speaking to y'all right na...hope y'all can preciate this part of me."

They continue clapping and screaming. "Fuck with y'all." I look back. "Play that shit back Spanx."

***********
One week ago
The morning after Khi beats up Melo.
Cario

I sit up in the bed smoking a blunt. I hear the front door open and my heart rate speeds up. His does too.

I ash the blunt and wait for him to come into the room. When he finally does his eyes look at me, then away.

"Morning Khi." The tension is so thick.

"Morning. Thought you would've went home."

"Na..wanted to stay around and be sure shit was good. How is he?"

"He good." He goes into his top drawer for underwear and a T-shirt.

"Need a shower?"

"Yeah, I never really change after the fight." He starts to take his clothes off right in front of me.

"Damn...I ain't know Melo even touched yo back."

"Huh?"he turns his back towards the mirror, seeing the scratches. "That fight was crazy and that night. I really don't remember."

"Don't remember?" I picked the blunt back up. "You wasn't drinking on shit last night." I light it.

He doesn't say anything. He goes into the bathroom.

You know I get my ass up and follow him. "I need a minute Cario."

"To get yo lie together? Like I don't know you fucked that nigga. I can smell sex all over you." I push him. "No niggas...was that not clear?"

"You want that to be the case Cario, but you just going off what you feel."

I bang my hand into my chest. "Did this ever get it wrong...our hearts beat as one...and they never tell a muthafuckin lie."