Wisdom

Iris and Maverick watched as Asher and Waylen played with one another. The adults worried that Asher would have a difficult time expressing himself. However, they were happy and proud that Waylen had the patience to assist Asher with his speech. Asher was embarrassed and had the urge to cry due to frustration, but he felt more comfortable with Waylen's assistance and patience. Iris would assist now and then; Maverick would also intervene once in a while. While the boys were playing, Iris and Maverick were waiting for Jessica. They were worried about her, and Iris thought about going to the room, but Maverick convinced her not to. He wanted Jessica to come out on her terms. 

A couple of hours passed, and Iris decided to make lunch. Just as she was about to, the guest room door was opened. Jessica walked out all dressed, her hair in a neat bun. Iris immediately went to her friend and hugged her. "Jessica, I was worried sick about you! You didn't even come out to eat breakfast!"

Jessica gently patted Iris on the back. "Yeah, sorry about that. I had a hard time sleeping last night. I was finally able to get some sleep early in the morning. That's why I didn't come out for breakfast. Sorry for worrying you."

Maverick slowly stood since he was playing with the boys. Waylen stopped playing momentarily as he noticed Jessica. The boy heard some of the adults' conversations and knew something had gone wrong with his Uncle Rickon. Waylen also knew that Jessica still had some fear of their kind. "Jessica, we're all happy that you're okay. Are you hungry?" asked Maverick.

"Kind of. I was thinking of cooking something."

"I was actually going to cook lunch. I-"

"I can help; I need something to do and to get my mind off things. If you don't mind, I have a craving for parmesan chicken and spaghetti."

Iris smiled and felt relieved that Jessica was calm but knew her friend was still hurt due to Rickon's lies. She then looked at Maverick and the boys. "Hey guys, Jessica and I will be making parmesan chicken and spaghetti for lunch. Will you all be okay with that?"

Maverick and the boys' moods lightened. "Yes, please," Maverick and Waylen said in unison. Asher, however, struggled. "Yaaaahhhhhh."

Iris smiled as she raised her fist up and down. "Yes, Asher?"

Asher looked confused at first but realized what the hand sign meant; he imitated and said, "Yaaahhhh!" 

The women entered the kitchen and got the materials and food with Maverick's assistance. With everything ready, the women began to cook quietly. Iris glanced at Jessica, who was chopping tomatoes and other parts of the chicken. "Are you still thinking about Rickon?"

Jessica stilled momentarily but eventually continued chopping the chicken. "I don't want to talk about him."

"Jessica, you can't avoid the situation for long. You will eventually have to face and speak to him. I'm not trying to convince you to forgive or see him; it will be your choice. Do you want to live in hiding."

"I'm not, Iris. I don't feel like it."

The friends became quiet once again. Iris got the tomatoes and other ingredients to make the marinara sauce in the blender. While making the sauce, she put water in a pot and turned on the stove to let the water boil. When the sauce was done, Iris put it in a large bowl so everyone could serve themselves the amount they wanted on their spaghetti and chicken. "You keeping it in won't solve anything. You're only hurting yourself."

Suddenly, Jessica banged the knife on the table, making everyone flinch. The boys were tired of playing and decided to watch Teen Titans, but when Jessica snapped, they flinched and looked at her. Jessica glared at Iris, who looked indifferent. "Why can't you just drop it!?"

"You know why."

"I hate it when you can't let it go! Why can't you let it go!?"

Iris huffed as she crossed her arms. "You wouldn't have let it go when Derek cheated on me! You wouldn't have let it go whenever I went through hardships!" She felt frustrated with Jessica's stubbornness but wouldn't let Jessica be stuck with her negative feelings and thoughts. "You're always there to hear my problems and help me overcome them, but you push me and everyone back when you go through hardships! You always want to solve everyone's problems but won't let your loved ones help you! That's utterly selfish of you!"

Maverick flinched as he went to Iris and stood behind her; he put his hands on her shoulders. "Iris, please calm down. This is not the place to fight." He motioned his face closer to her right here. "The boys are here," he whispered. The Beta felt her tension slowly leave her body as she took a deep breath. Iris went on to concentrate on the pasta.

Jessica, however, stood in silence and stunned. It was the first time that Iris ever raised her voice at her and told her the truth that she always tried to run away from. Then, her thoughts trailed back to Rickon; he hurt her badly. He lied to her for the time they were getting to know one another because he feared his past would catch up to him. The young woman felt that she had the right to get angry. He not only hurt her but another woman. 

"Jessica?"

This brought the young woman back to reality. Maverick, Iris, and Jessica were stunned when Waylen walked forward. His eyes were innocent with a hint of determination. "A-Are you still scared of us for being werewolves? If you are, we would never hurt you."

Iris gasped while Maverick and Jessica widened their eyes. Waylen put his hands together as if giving himself the courage to speak. "W-Waylen, I-I-It's not that I'm afraid. It's...more complicated than that, buddy." Jessica couldn't believe that Waylen dared to speak up. He thought that she was still afraid of werewolves, of him. She was still trying to get used to the truth, but it looked like Waylen was pained. 

"I-I heard Mom and Dad talking about you and Uncle Rickon. Are you mad at him?"

Maverick cleared his throat. "Waylen, you shouldn't involve yourself in grown-up stuff. This is between Jessica and your Uncle."

The boy looked at Maverick, disgruntled. "Uncle Maverick, I don't want to see Uncle Rickon and Jessica sad! It makes me sad! I know Uncle Rickon likes Jessica, and she likes him too! I can see it!" Waylen looked at Jessica. "Mom and Dad always told me it is okay to feel mad and sad sometimes, but we shouldn't let it get to us! It will only lead to more hurt feelings!"

Everyone was silent; Asher watched everything unfold but eventually watched the television show. The adults were stunned at Waylen's words. Iris looked at Maverick as he did the same. However, a small smile appeared on his lips; he looked amazed and proud. On the other hand, Jessica didn't know what to say to Waylen. He said so much for his age that she couldn't deny that his statement was true. Jessica sighed as she knelt in before him. "You're right, buddy. Sorry that you had to hear that. Now, go on while Iris and I prepare lunch."

Waylen nodded as he turned and walked to the living room, but not before smiling at Maverick. The Beta chuckled as he followed suit. "This boy will make one hell of an Alpha."