Jessica

Rickon and Jessica were in a small coffee shop in a small village called Luna's Cafe. The many coffees and teas served and sold were handmade and were popular among the locals, humans, and non-humans. The village was where the Blood Claw Pack members worked to earn their living and to help the pack prosper. The village was open to tourists and visitors from neighboring cities and towns. One of the reasons why the area was popular was because it looked like a mini medieval town with European influence. However, the village had a schedule that visitors had to respect. The village would be closed to human visitors at 6 pm so the pack members could go with their daily lives and be with their families or friends. Furthermore, werewolves were most potent at night.

That was why Rickon decided to have the date early with Jessica. Since she was human and didn't know about the existence of werewolves, he thought it would be better that she get to know him first before finding out what he indeed was. The two ordered coffee and pastries; Rickon enjoyed seeing his mate enjoying the product that the pack members made. "My god, this is the best coffee and bread I have ever tasted!"

"I knew you would like it here. Everything in the village is handmade; even the food is made without chemicals and other preservatives. The people here followed the old ways of life and even learned other techniques worldwide."

"Wow, that's pretty cool. You seem to know a lot about this area. Do you live here?"

"Yes and no. I do stay here from time to time, but I also have another house that is close to the forest. I guess you could say that I like the quiet and privacy." He took a sip of his drink. "I was curious about how you met Iris. Maverick told me she is going through a rough patch right now."

Jessica sighed as she looked at her reflection in the coffee as memories returned to her. "We met at high school; I was the quiet kid, and I was bullied a lot. I didn't have a good home life since my parents were divorced, then married other people, and had their families; I was an outsider to them. Iris and I were put as project partners; she treated me respectfully and even introduced me to her friend group. However, some of her friends thought I was beneath them, and Iris saw how many of them were; she left."

Rickon was amazed at how Iris was as a person in her adolescence. He knew adolescents were cruel since one would do anything to fit in a group, even if it meant putting others down. Iris wasn't one of those people, as she didn't view Jessica from a low perspective. Rickon was happy that Maverick was blessed with a second chance with a good woman like Iris. "Wow, Iris is quite the amazing person. I'm happy that you two are friends who can depend on one another; not many people have that."

"Yeah, I'm sure that Maverick told you of her situation. I would have never imagined all the hell that is happening. Iris has always been the strong one who supported others, but now she needs the support."

"Don't you both have other friends?"

"We do, but some are friends of her now ex. Many pretended to be Iris's friends; some might be on her side. However, they will eventually forget the situation and move on. Life is messed up."

Rickon cleared his throat. "Well, we shouldn't dwell too much on the sad things in life. Now tell me what you like to do." As Jessica spoke of her likes, Rickon felt he was on cloud nine. He never enjoyed such conversations, even though he had experiences with other women. The women he went out with were one-night stands or were relationships that didn't last an entire year. He knew he would have a mate, but the older he grew, he believed he was being punished for his wrongdoings during his youth. Now that he had found Jessica, he felt happy and thankful. Like Maverick, one of his challenges was to make Jessica accept him of his true identity.

As he listened, he realized that even though Jessica has a fiery personality, she is also reserved and enjoys being indoors. Rickon also learned that she loved to write, watch movies and documentaries, and do other intellectual activities opposite to him. 

His thoughts were interrupted when Jessica finished her statements. "So what about you? What do you like to do?"

"I love exploring the outdoors, going on runs, hiking, and more; you can say it's in my nature. From what I hear, you're more of a homebody." Jessica blushed. However, deep down, she feared that Rickon would see it as a lousy attribute about her. Rickon noticed her demeanor slightly changed and smiled. "We're all different, Jessica. One shouldn't be ashamed of who they are and what they like. Besides, that's why there is the saying, 'opposites attract.' Sometimes different personalities complete the other." Rickon realized what he had said and felt his face turning warm. "Geez, I can't believe that I sounded mushy!"

Jessica noticed Rickon trying to hide his warm face as he gulped his cold coffee; she giggled. "So are you saying that we might see more of each other?"

"Maybe. Only if you're open to exiting your little shell for an adventure."

A shiver went down Jessica's spine as Rickon looked and spoke to her in a low, seductive voice. She wondered if he was used to using his charm with other women. The young woman shook off those thoughts; she didn't want to start as jealous. However, whenever looking at Rickon, Jessica wondered why a handsome man would be interested in her. "W-Well, I would be open if you're still interested."

"Oh, I'm more than interested. Now, how about a nice little walk around the village to burn calories?" he chuckled.

"Sure, I need to use the restroom. I'll be back."

As Jessica went away, Rickon used the time to look at his phone to see if he had any messages. To his annoyance, Andrea texted him and left him many voicemails. He deleted them all and blocked her number. Rickon felt he should have blocked her number initially, but with everything that had happened, it passed his mind. However, now that he had found his mate, and felt it was time to let go of the past to start a new life. Rickon saw Jessica leaving the restroom; he stood up and put his phone away. He then went to her, and the two walked out of the coffee shop to enjoy the rest of their day.