Search Pt.2

Maverick and Iris arrived at the hospital, where the doctor and nurses waited for them outside the buildings to avoid creating a scene. The doctors and nurses bowed their heads. "Please forgive our carelessness, Be-!" The doctor remembered then noticed Iris and almost forgot that she was human. He was about to state Maverick's name but was stopped.

"There's no need to hide who we are. She knows what we are." Everyone was surprised, but they knew that time couldn't be wasted. "Anyway, were any of you able to catch his scent before he escaped?"

"Th-There were many scents within the hospital, Beta. We couldn't keep track and we can't fully sense him since he hasn't transitioned to a werewolf yet."

The Beta nodded. "Alpha Matthias, Rickon, and others will arrive soon. Tell them that Iris and I went to get a head start. Do you have something of his so I can gain his scent?" One of the nurses walked forward with a hospital gown that he had changed many hours before. Maverick took a quick sniff, and he found that Asher's scent was behind the hospital building. When he took a peek, he saw a small path leading to the forest; worry was imminent. "Damn it, he went to the forest, and he could easily get lost!"

Iris also noticed the forest and immediately became nervous. "Maverick, we have to get going, now! Asher isn't fully healed and we don't know what other animals might be in the forest!" Maverick nodded as he informed the medical staff to prepare for the others; he and Iris ran toward the forest, avoiding prying eyes. They got in within a reasonable distance when Maverick hid behind a tree to undress himself. "Maverick, are you taking off your clothes?"

"Yeah, I need them when I return to my human form. We're going to get Asher in my werewolf form since I tend to be faster." When he took a peek at Iris, he saw that she hugged herself with a blush. He was entirely nude and couldn't help but chuckle. Maverick wouldn't mind if his mate saw him naked; he would've wanted her to see what was waiting for her when she completely accepted him. His thoughts were interrupted when another scent hit him; something or someone was getting closer toward Asher's direction. "Damn it!" he thought. The Beta immediately changed into his werewolf and walked in full view. Iris gasped at seeing him and refrained from screaming or running; she reminded herself of what Maverick was.

Maverick motioned her to get on his back as he lowered himself to her level. Iris slowly went and got on his back. The werewolf slowly stood, making the young woman squeal and hugging the back of his neck so as not to fall. Maverick slowly began to walk to get Iris used to his height. When he felt her grip on him tighten, he began to run. Maverick dodged many trees and stones on his path. He was relieved that Iris' grip hadn't lessened. While running, he felt someone trying to contact him using mind-link; he opened his link.

"Maverick, I and other pack members are at the hospital. Did you get a head start?" asked Matthias.

"Yes, but when I got the child's scent, I smelled another, and it was heading in the boy's direction!"

"Damn it! We will try to get there as fast as we can!" 

The mind-link between them ended, and Maverick concentrated on the path. "Please, don't let it be too late!"

Meanwhile, in the deep forest, Asher, in his hospital clothes, walked in what looked like an endless path. The boy had some of his strength back but struggled to walk straight, and there were times when he would lose his footing since he was shot in his brain. Asher still had difficulties remembering what happened to him and communicating. It was as if his brain struggled to make words, frustrating the young boy. There were times when he wanted to tell the doctor and nurses that he wanted his family and to get out of the hospital, but since he struggled with his language and speech, they wouldn't be able to understand him.

That was why Asher left the hospital. He just wanted some time away from the hospital since there were many people he didn't know, and he was lonely. Asher was so deep in thought that he finally realized that he was lost and far from the hospital. He thought about turning around, returning, and walking straight, but the forest looked so dark and frightening that he doubted himself. 

"Gggghhh...mmmaaa..." he called out. Asher tried to say 'mom,' but his speech and language were slurred. Tears formed and dripped from his eyes, and he tried to wipe them away. The young boy then heard a sound; it came from the left side of the forest. Fear overcame him, but he wondered if someone was looking for him. If that was the case, whoever it was could take him back to the hospital. He took the risk and went toward where the noise came from. The noise eventually stopped, and Asher stopped as he hid behind a big tree. His eyes widened in shock when he saw a man who looked to be in his early thirties standing before what looked like a wolf. The wolf was large, with dark gray fur drenched in what looked like its own blood. It also wasn't moving, and its golden eyes looked hollow.

The man who stood before the dead wolf was breathing heavily as he held a gun; there was blood on parts of his clothes and hands. "I-I have to get out of her before-" The unknown assailant stilled as he felt an aura behind him. The man turned and noticed Asher hiding behind a tree.

The two looked at one another.

Asher trembled at the sight, and memories began flashing before his eyes. He remembered his family traveling on the road, but then they were attacked by a man. Blood was everywhere, then he was struck, and everything went black. Asher fell to his knees, covered his ears, and grunted in fear. The man slowly walked toward the child. "I think I've seen you before. Either way, you've seen too much, and I can't let you go free." The man raised his gun toward Asher. "Sorry, kid, but I have to do this." Before pulling the trigger, he heard a growl coming from the other side. The man looked and, to his surprise, saw Maverick in his werewolf form. The assailant was shocked that he didn't sense Maverick's aura. "You're good at hiding your aura, which means you're either an Alpha or Beta."

Maverick was relieved to have made it in time, or Asher would have been a casualty. When he stopped, he motioned Iris to get off his back and hide behind a tree. Iris also saw the situation and knew that Maverick wanted her to hide. Her focus was on Asher, who was trembling. She had a strong urge to go to him but didn't want to put anyone at risk. Iris knew that she had to depend on Maverick's intuition. 

Maverick and the assailant were eye to eye, and then a single bullet was shot.