Worry

Dinner had to be cut short due to the news, but the men didn't want to worry the women. They said that they had important business to attend to that they couldn't ignore. Iris and Jessica looked disappointed but knew the men were busy. However, Laura knew something was wrong and didn't want to stress her husband too much. The Luna knew about the murders close to the pack territory and wondered if something similar happened. Iris felt the tension and didn't want to pressure Maverick to say anything. "Well, we will stay to clean up. It's not right that Laura gets to do everything herself, said Iris.

Waylen smiled and squealed. "Yay! Iris and Jessica will stay here longer!" After the young child got to know the young women, he liked them, specifically Iris. He went to Iris, hugged her waist, looked at Maverick, and wiggled his eyebrows. The Alpha was amused, but the Beta raised an eyebrow, surprised at Waylen's action; the boy was testing him. Whether he was a child or not, Maverick let out a low growl. Werewolves were very territorial and didn't like their mates being in the arms of others. Maverick then smirked, did the v-finger sign on his eyes, and then pointed at the child.

It was a playful challenge, but the Beta refused to be defeated by a child. Laura looked at her son, who eventually let Iris go. "Don't worry, I will ensure they are taken home." Matthias looked at his wife and sent her a message through mind-link, informing her that he would secretly send some guards to watch over them. The men eventually walked out, and once they were out of sight and deeper into the forest, they changed to their wolf forms and ran to where the body was found. 

"I can't believe this is happening, brother! It hasn't been long since the murdered family has been found, and now this! Were you informed who the victim was?" asked Rickon. 

"The victim was male and in his late teens. I have a hunch that he was a rogue who was going to be part of our pack." The three werewolves were silent as they kept running toward their destination. What worried them was that the victim was found not too far from the pack; they felt other pack member's auras from afar. They eventually arrived, where ten pack members stood and surrounded the corpse. Matthias, Maverick, and Rickon were still in their werewolf form when they finally saw the victim. The victim was a male adolescent who was between fifteen to eighteen years old. The adolescent was covered in a white sheet since he was nude when he was found.

It was speculated that the teen was initially in his werewolf form but changed back to his human form. It was also noticed that the adolescent had two bullet wounds, one on his neck and the other on the left side of his chest. The bullet wounds looked as if they burned parts of the skin; they were silver bullets. Matthias growled in rage, knowing something had to be done, but he didn't want to make drastic decisions. He accessed the mind-link of everyone present. "This needs to be stopped before it gets to the pack; a hunter is behind this!" growled Matthias.

Maverick, in his werewolf form, looked at the victim. It saddened him that a person so young who wanted to have a better life had his life taken away. He growled as he looked away. "I agree, but this hunter must have information about our pack. Could there be a possibility that there might be a traitor among us?"

Everyone was silent as they looked at one another. "We must accept the possibilities, but we cannot be too suspicious. Rickon, which hunter families patrol close to our pack?"

"I believe the closest is the Atrim Family. I know that our pack has a pact with them, and they are known to keep the peace."

"I want you to help set up a meeting with them at our usual location, and I want the bullets to be saved as evidence to see if they know something." As Matthias gave orders, Maverick paced back and forth in his werewolf form. Many troubles arose, and he didn't know if he made the right decision to have Iris live close to the pack, but he was worried that whoever was killing the rogues might come after any of them next. Whoever the killer was might go after their mates, and he couldn't risk putting Iris in danger. He had to tell her the truth but had to think of how to bring the topic up. Then, an idea hit him. "It might just work."

Meanwhile, Iris and Jessica returned to their new apartment. Some things still needed to be unpacked, but the most important thing was that their beds arrived on time and they would sleep well. "Well, that was a nice dinner; Laura sure is nice. That Waylen kid is something else; he will be a lady's man growing up." Iris giggled as she put her stuff down. "By the way, you had something to tell me about the apartment situation. What made you change your mind?" Iris stilled but motioned her friend to sit and told her everything that happened and the hospital visit. Jessica sat and listened intently, and she looked shocked. "Poor kid, and will Maverick take care of him?"

"Yeah, he is determined."

"And you're going to help? Iris, you and Maverick haven't been together that long. Taking care of a kid is a huge responsibility. That kid also has trauma and will need therapy. I would understand if you two were married but what happens if your relationship doesn't work out?"

Iris was silent; she couldn't deny that there could be the possibility that their relationship might not last, but she didn't want to think that way. "That could be true, but I can't help but feel it won't happen. Maverick has been honest with me; it shows me that he is a respectful man who doesn't fear the truth."

Jessica sighed. "I'm not going to stop you, girl. You know what is best for you, but I want to tell you I am here for you." The two women were about to stand, but then Iris heard her phone vibrate; she looked at her messages, and her happy face dropped. "What's wrong? Don't tell me it's that manwhore!"

"It's Brianna, she wants to meet."