Parents

Iris felt her stomach wanted to drop; her parents were before her. Her parents were the same height; her mother was overweight, and her father was average-sized. Her mother had light brown hair, while her father had black hair and black eyes. Even with their appearance, they always tended to try to take care of themselves. However, Iris noticed that they looked different. Her parents had bags under their eyes as if they hadn't slept for a while; their clothes and hair were in disarray. "Hija (daughter)," said her mother. Her mother, Rubia, had her hands crossed together; her eyes were slightly pink and dry from tears.

Rubia was about to hug her daughter, but Iris moved away. "¿Por qué están aquí (Why are you here)?"

"¡Estábamos muy preocupados por ti! ¡No respondías nuestras llamadas (We were worried about you! You weren't answering our calls)!" cried Rubia.

"Y-You two have a lot of nerve being here. You two defended a person who betrayed my trust."

Her father, Hornesto, walked forward; his eyes looked droopy and slightly indifferent. "I know you're hurt. I always told you that your fiancee was no good. I knew it when I met him. You also didn't listen to me."

Iris bit her lower lip; she knew her parents hadn't changed their perspective. They were still trying to defend Brianna and her wrongdoings, like always. "As always, you're always blaming me. That I never listen or heed your warnings, Papa. I always tried to be the best daughter and role model for Brianna, but she still did her shit anyway. If I had done what she did, you two wouldn't have hesitated to disown me. Yet, even after all Brianna has done, you still try to defend her; you never kept your threats like you gave me. Now I know who's your favorite."

Rubia tried to refrain from crying. "¡Te amamos por igual! Tu hermana es un alma atribulada que necesita ayuda. ¡Sé que lo que hizo estuvo mal, pero ustedes dos son hermanas (We love you equally! Your sister is a troubled soul that needs help. I know what she did was wrong, but you two are sisters)!"

"Solo porque seamos familia, no significa que sea correcto hacerles mal. El hecho de que sea mi hermana, no significa que deba amarla. Ella nunca cambiará porque ustedes dos la han dejado convertirse en el monstruo que es (Just because we're family, it doesn't mean it is right to do them wrong. Just because she's my sister doesn't mean I must love her. She will never change because you two have let her become the monster she is)."

Iris was about to close the door, but Hornesto stopped her. "Iris, you have every right to be angry, and I now accept that we can't change your views on us and your sister. However, your sister hung out with the wrong people. We all know that she needs help; if you can learn to forgive her and try to guide her, then she can..."

Hornesto couldn't finish his sentence since his daughter began to laugh. Her laughs echoed throughout the complex. Some people were viewing the argument from their apartments but tried to remain hidden from view. Iris knew this, but she didn't care; she wanted people to see how her parents were. She wanted the world to see who they were and eventually stopped laughing. "She has never once called me to ask for her forgiveness. I see now that you two are toxic like she is. Brianna inherited her morality from you two; I was always the family's black sheep." Iris shook her head as she held onto the door knob. "You all and Brianna are dead to me; if you don't leave, I will call the police."

She pushed her father away from the door and slammed it in their face. When she did, her mother's cries were heard behind; her father told her they should leave. Iris had her back on the door, and she slowly slid down and sat on the floor. Her parents' appearance was unexpected, and she wasn't prepared to see them so soon. It wasn't too much of a surprise that her parents tried to defend Brianna, but it still hurt her. Tears were forming, but she refused to have them fall. The young woman wanted someone to talk to, but Jessica was on her date, and some of her other friends were at work or still had connections with Derek.

There was one person she felt she could talk to; she got out her phone.

Meanwhile, Maverick was in his house with Matthias. He felt that his heart wanted to stop while looking at Ofelia's belongings; it brought many memories. However, he was determined to have things removed. Matthias had some boxes that he had brought from his garage. Matthias motioned out the box to his Beta; Maverick put the clothes into the box. When he did so, he felt a weight lift off of him. 

It felt liberating.

Maverick got all of Ofelia's clothes, pants, and shoes and put them in boxes. He also got some of her jewelry and makeup and put them in boxes. Everything that belonged to her was now in boxes. "How does it feel?" asked Matthias while patting his friend's shoulder.

"I feel at peace. I-" Maverick heard his phone vibrate and checked the caller ID. "It's Iris!"

"Well, go on and answer." Maverick was about to answer, but he looked at Matthias as if he was asking for privacy. The Alpha smiled. "No, I want to see what happens, lover boy."

The Beta rolled his eyes as he answered the phone. He didn't want to seem too desperate to her. "Iris, what a surprise." It was silent on the other end, but he could hear Iris breathing heavily. "Iris, what's wrong? Are you alright?" 

"M-Maverick, I-I didn't know who to call. I-I just needed someone to talk to. My parents came by unannounced, and I-I-I..." Iris tried to contain her composure on the other end. "I-I was wondering if we could meet. I know that it must be tiring to see me and..."

"Not at all. Iris, please don't feel that you are being a nuisance. I would be happy to see you. Tell you what, I would like to take you to a nice little Korean BBQ. They have private booths where no one can hear another's conversations. I'll pay. How's that?"

Iris was silent for a moment. "O-Okay. I will help pay."

"Don't worry about it. How about I pick you up? I know you're not in the right mind, only if you're comfortable with it."

"S-Sure. Can you pick me up from Jessica's apartment?"

"Give me the address, and I'll be outside." The two hung up, and Maverick received the address; it was more than forty minutes away, but he didn't mind.

"So what happened?"

"Her parents went to see her; if I had to guess, it didn't go well."

Matthias shook his head as he taped the boxes shut. "Well, she called you, so that's a good sign. You're slowly earning her trust. Go on. I will take these boxes to the garage; the occupants will move in soon." Maverick nodded as he exited his house and entered his car in the garage. He was happy that he would be able to see her again. He knew that Iris was still in pain, but her calling him was a sign that she was slowly trusting him. The important thing was that he would be near Iris; he drove off.