Disagreement

Maverick drove back to the pack's location with Iris and Asher, who were in the car's back seat. Asher was still asleep in Iris's arms. During the drive, he would take glances at the rear-view mirror. His heart felt peace and warmth when he saw his mate and the sleeping child. The image was something he always wanted: a family. "Maverick, are you sure that you're okay? I mean, you're still healing from your wound. Are you sure that the poison is out of your system?"

"Don't worry, Iris. The antidote removed the poison from my system and with my werewolf genes, my body healed swiftly." The Beta drove by many houses; many pack members were on and about their daily lives. Many bowed their heads to him as he drove by. The lot eventually arrived at his house, where Maverick pushed the button within his car to open the garage door; he drove inside and turned off the vehicle. He exited the car first and opened the car door for Iris and Asher. The three entered the house through the door that led to the kitchen. "Do you want something to eat? I can make you a sandwich or something else?"

"No, I'm okay. After everything that happened, I don't have a strong appetite at the moment. Where should we put Asher?"

The Beta motioned Iris to follow him and led her to another room in the corner opposite Maverick's room. It was painful for him to go inside since it was the room where his and Ofelia's unborn child would have slept. He slowly opened the door; it was dark. When the lights were turned, the wooden crib was on the left side of the room and close to the wall. On the right side of the room was a small wooden bed with a handmade bedcover decorated with yellow, white, and green colors. The walls were of walnut color, and there were portraits of teddy bears and children playing. A closet was close to the room door, a mirror connected to the wall close to the crib, and a wooden cabinet with stuffed animals on top for display.

Iris walked inside, put Asher on the bed, and covered the bed over him. She and Maverick left the room but closed the door only slightly. They then walked to the living room and sat on the sofa. Iris looked at Maverick's arm; the cut was not as visible as in the beginning. She slowly put her hand on it. "I'm glad that you're okay. I thought werewolves being weak to silver was just a legend."

Maverick chuckled as he gently put his hand over hers. "Unfortunately, the legends are true, Iris. There is so much more of my world that you don't know. However, if you want, I would be happy to teach you everything."

The two looked at one another, their hearts beating rapidly as they couldn't keep their eyes away. Iris couldn't believe that a simple thing like silver could take his life away. When she saw how weak he became, it tore her heart. The thought of seeing him die terrified her, and she didn't want him not to know how much he meant to her. "Maverick, I-"  She was interrupted when she saw Maverick stiff upright; his eyes became foggy. "A-Are you okay?"

"Sorry, someone wants to contact me through mind-link. I'm going to step out for a moment, alright." Iris nodded, and Maverick walked to the kitchen as he opened the mind-link. 

"Maverick!" It was Laura, which was a surprise for the Beta. "We have an emergency!"

"Calm down, Luna! What happened!?" Laura eventually calmed down and explained everything that happened. Maverick's look was grim, and he bit his lower lip. "Damn it! I didn't think that Andrea would act! How is Jessica?"

"She's unconscious, but she will eventually wake up. I know Matthias will force Rickon to tell her the truth, but I'm afraid things will go wrong. Could you come by to help if the situation goes south?"

"Yes, don't worry. I will be there right now." The mind link was disconnected, and he went to Iris, who noticed his grim expression. "I need to go to Matthias's house. 

Iris stood from her seat. "Something happen?"

A sigh escaped Maverick's lips. "Yes, but I can't explain everything now. I will once I come back home. Please stay here with Asher and don't come out." He noticed that Iris would ask more, but he didn't have time. The Beta went to her and gently held her hands. "Please believe me. I will explain everything when I come back."

"O-Okay. I will wait for you, and you better keep your promise."

Maverick nodded as he kissed her forehead. "I promise." The werewolf immediately exited and ran toward Maverick's house using his superspeed, trying to calm his anger. So many wrong things happened in one day, and he didn't think things could worsen. He eventually arrived at the Alpha's house and knocked on the door. Laura immediately answered the door and sighed in relief. "I'm glad you arrived; Matthias informed me that he and Rickon will arrive soon."

"Has Jessica woken up yet?" he asked while he entered.

"Not yet."

"How's Waylen?"

Laura walked toward the living room while wrapping her arms around herself. "He's in his room and is shaken up, but he's okay."

Suddenly, the door was roughly opened, making Laura and Maverick flinch; Matthias and Rickon arrived. The brothers were arguing, and their eyes were pitch black. "You are asking me to do too much! I will not leave my mate for that long!"

"It's only temporary, Rickon! You need time away from Jessica and she will need it as well!" Matthias closed the door behind him. "This is also punishment for your stupidity!"

Laura shivered when she saw her husband angry. She saw him in such a state a few times, and it terrified her. However, she was worried about Waylen hearing their arguments, which made him more anxious than he already was. "Matthias, Rickon, please!" Laura felt tears forming as she stood between the brother. "We shouldn't argue and scream here. Waylen is still shaken, and I don't want her to become more frightened when Jessica wakes up."

Matthias noticed his wife's tears and took deep breaths to calm himself. The Alpha didn't like to see his wife cry, so he went and hugged her. "I'm sorry, Laura."

Maverick sighed as he slowly walked toward the brothers. "Rickon, I know and understand that you don't want to be apart from Jessica. I understand it can be painful since you waited so long to find her. However, Jessica had to find out about our kind the hard way. Also, she doesn't know about your former relationship with Andrea. You waited so long to say the truth." The Beta shook his head. "You need some time away from Jessica, so she can decide what she wants to do next."

Rickon bit his lower lip so hard that drips of blood fell to the floor. Matthias wanted him to be away from Jessica. The thought of that pained him so much that he felt that he would die of a broken heart. His thoughts were interrupted when he and everything heard a door open. Everyone looked in that direction and saw Jessica. Rickon was relieved to see that she was okay, but when looking closely and carefully, he was horrified that her eyes looked at him with an expression he never wanted to see.

She looked at him with fear.