Rickon

The night arrived and passed by quickly in Maverick's view. It was better for him since he couldn't sleep due to his excitement of seeing Iris again. He slept in the guest room in Matthias's home, who insisted that his Beta spend another night. Maverick knew Matthias didn't fully trust him yet; he couldn't blame his Alpha. However, Maverick convinced his Alpha that he wanted to return to his house since Iris was his motivation to keep living. With Laura's insistence, Matthias relented. 

It was 9:45 a.m., and Matthias got up and dressed in some clothes he had brought from his house and kept in his car in case of emergencies. Once ready, he left the guest room and saw Laura cooking. "Oh, Maverick, good morning. Had a good sleep?"

"Morning, Luna. Yes, I slept well, only for a little bit. I guess you can say that I'm excited for today. Has Alpha Matthias gone to work?"

Laura giggled as she finished making scrambled eggs. "Yes, he has. My husband is very devoted to his work. Anyway, would you like to eat before you go?"

"No, it's alright. I can pick up something from Starbucks before I-"

"Why spend money when you can have my delicious food for free? I will make you an egg and ham sandwich so you can take it with you. I will not take no for an answer!"

Maverick sighed as he agreed to Luna's terms. He didn't want to argue with her since she was stubborn. Laura made the sandwich and poured coffee in a thermal coffee mug, which he gladly took; they both said their goodbyes. Maverick got in his car and drove off toward his destination, which only took fifteen minutes. He knew it was early, but the excitement was too much for him. He parked his car and waited while watching a movie on Netflix on his phone. He would look at the apartment complex and his surroundings. The state of Oregon had a lot of natural features, which was perfect for the werewolf species. Werewolves prefer to be closer to nature since running wild is part of nature. Also, it would allow them to transform into their werewolf form when necessary. He looked at his watch, and it was 10:45 a.m.; only fifteen minutes left until Iris and her friend arrived. 

"Geez, Maverick, it's been a while since I've seen you like this," said a masculine voice.

The Beta stopped pacing when he looked to his right; it was Rickon. Maverick got out of his car, and Rickon hugged one another. Rickon was thirty-two years old and stood five feet and eight inches tall with a light honey skin tone. His raven hair was slicked back; his eyes were bright amber. His face was rectangular shaped with very light freckles and a slightly crooked smile. His muscular body was covered in a tight black T-shirt with an unbuttoned dark blue checkered shirt on top and somewhat loose dark blue jeans. "Rickon, it's been a while. You look as if you're going to a rodeo."

Rickon released a fake hurt expression as he put his hand over his heart. "Well, that's pretty mean, Maverick. I must wear something unattractive, or your mate will be all over me." Maverick let out a low warning growl; Rickon playfully motioned his hands upward. "Relax, I'm just playing and needed to lighten up the mood. When my bro told me of the situation, I was surprised and happy for you." Rickon cleared his throat as he stood next to Maverick. "Matthias told me you tried to kill yourself, but your mate saved you. I couldn't fathom the thought of losing a friend."

It was silent between the men; Maverick felt guilt again. When he tried to kill himself numerous times, his sorrow got the best of him. He didn't overthink about what his suicide might have cost his loved ones. Maverick was slowly coming up with the realization that if he had not killed himself, he would kill a part of his loved ones' hearts. "I-I'm sorry that I made you and the others feel that way. Ofelia's death plagued me to the pits of despair; I was selfish to try to end it all."

"Well, at least you realize that now, even if it took a while. I'm glad the Moon Goddess has given you a second chance, even though your mate is a human. So you're going to have to play this slow."

"Yeah. She was previously engaged to some asshole who cheated on her with her sister."

Rickon's eyes widened. "Damn, that's sick as hell. How can a family betray their own? Her family sounds toxic."

Maverick was about to respond when he noticed a car parked on the lot. "They're here." The men walked down from the apartment complex toward the vehicle. The women slowly exited the car as they looked at the apartment. Maverick felt happy that he could see Iris again, but when he heard Rickon stop, he did the same. The Beta noticed his friend in a trance-like state and stood beside him. "Rickon, what's the matter with you?"

"D-Do you smell that? I smell rosemary with a hint of lavander." 

This confused the Beta as he looked at the women. Iris smiled as she waved at him, but then there was her friend. Maverick couldn't deny that Iris' friend was pretty. She had short, brown, curly hair with a fake sunflower pin on the right side of her hair. Her skin was dark almond with an average figure, but her clothes clung to her body. He couldn't help but notice that Iris' friend had crooked teeth. If Rickon smelled a particular scent, then that meant one thing. "Rickon, don't tell me that Iris' friend is your mate."

"My mate. Her friend is my mate." Rickon slowly walked forward. Jessica's scent was intoxicating, and he wanted to hold and mark her. "Mine. She's mine." 

Maverick stopped him from walking forward. The situation was unexpected, and he was concerned that Rickon would mark his mate without her knowing what he indeed was. The Beta couldn't also risk Iris fearing him; she might never want to see him again. "Rickon, please listen to me. I understand you want to be close to her but remember; they're human. They may or may not be open about our kind. We have to earn their trust first."

Rickon let out a soft growl. "I've waited so long to find my mate, Maverick. Now you're telling me that I have to wait again! Damn it! I-!"

"Do you want to scare her off to make her fear you? The bright side is that you found her, and she might be interested in renting an apartment here. If she agrees, she will be closer to the pack." Maverick made his friend look at him. "Please, Rickon. Do this for me too." 

Rickon glanced at the women who were now walking toward them. He was urged to hold his mate, but there were risks if he lost control. "Okay, fine. I will try to contain myself."

"Maverick, hey there! We're here!" 

The men looked at one another and faced the women. Rickon was stunned at his mate's beauty, especially her light brown eyes. "She's perfect; she's mine."

"Iris, I'm so glad you and your friend could make it." Maverick and Iris hugged. "I hope the trip wasn't too long; I know it was an hour away from the main city."

Iris shook her head. "Not at all. We thought of it as a nice mini road trip. Anyway, this is my best friend, Jessica. Jessica, this is Maverick."

The two looked at one another as Jessica motioned out her hand. "Well, it's nice to meet the guy my friend can't keep talking about. I'm glad you two met since I am also interested in renting an apartment here."

Maverick got her hand and shook it; he felt Rickon giving him a glare that could kill. He immediately let go of her hand. "Well, I am glad that everything worked out. Anyway, this is one of my good friends who will help me give you two a tour; this is Rickon."

The two looked at one another in silence. Rickon felt his heart beating rapidly. He tried hard not to have Jessica in his arms and mark her. "I-I-I...nice to meet you...Jessica."

Jessica cleared her throat. "Ni-Nice to meet you too...Rickon." 

They shook hands, felt a spark going through them, and let go of one another. Maverick cleared his throat. "Well, now that we're introduced, let's begin the tour." He motioned the women to go before them, which they did. The men walked behind them; Maverick glanced at his friend. "You can do this, Rickon," he whispered. Rickon merely nodded in response. 

Meanwhile, Jessica and Iris looked at the apartment complex and were amazed at the location; it was built close to a small village and a national park. Jessica, however, couldn't stop thinking about the spark she felt when touching Rickon's hand. She slowly looked behind her and at Rickon. He was speaking with Maverick but noticed she was looking at him; Rickon glanced back.

They smiled at one another.