Spark

While Jessica was still on her date with Rickon, Iris waited outside the apartment complex for ten minutes. Maverick arrived, exited the car, went to her, and hugged her. When they connected, both felt a spark go throughout their body; it was pleasurable and warm. Being embraced by another man besides Derek felt strange, but Iris felt safe and secure. She slowly wrapped her arms around him as tears formed and dripped onto his shirt. "Don't hold it back; let it go."

That was what she needed, and Iris cried as she hugged him tightly. "M-My parents never loved me! I always had to sacrifice my happiness for my sister. They used me for their gain! I-I-I feel like an idiot! What have I done to deserve such pain!?"

Iris's words pierced Maverick's heart. He felt her pain the same way she felt his. "Life can be cruel, Iris. I asked myself why I endured such pain and suffering when I lost my family. Sometimes we might never know, but pain can also help us get stronger, even though it can take a while."

The two separated from the hug, and Iris wiped her tears away. "Thanks, Maverick. I-I'm sorry for ruining your shirt."

"It's not a problem. You can say it's payback when I cried on you." The two smiled. Maverick then motioned Iris to get in his car. When the two were inside, they went off to their destination. "Are you okay with Korean BBQ?"

"Yeah, it's been a while since I've had it. Although Korean BBQ is expensive, we could've gotten coffee."

Maverick made a left turn when the green arrow was visible. "I haven't had Korean BBQ in a while. I think we both deserve a treat. I know you need it the most after what happened today with your...parents."

Iris sighed as she looked out the window. "I wasn't ready to see them; I knew that they would give excuses for my sister's actions. I finally accepted that my parents are toxic and will never change. Yet, it's also hard to accept such a truth since they are still my parents."

When Maverick made a right turn, they arrived at their destination. "We're here;  I made reservations before picking you up, and luckily, they had a couple of tables open. I also ordered ahead of time so we can eat once we get there."

"Wow, you seem always to be ahead of the game."

The Beta smirked as both got out of the car. "Well, I work in business; one must always think ahead. Let's go inside." He motioned out his arm, and Iris raised an eyebrow. That's when she realized what he wanted; she blushed. Iris held onto his arms as they walked inside the small restaurant. Once inside, a waitress, who wore a traditional hanbok, awaited them and led them to their booth. The grill was turned on as the food and drinks were brought to them. Iris couldn't help but be impressed at how prepared the restaurant was. It had traditional Korean designs, tables, chairs, and more. It felt as if they were in a traditional Korean home.

Once they were left alone, Maverick put meat on the grill while Iris cooked the vegetables. The scent of meat made their mouth salivate. "I guess we had the same idea."

"I-I guess life can work in mysterious ways. It's as if we were meant to meet one another."

Maverick stopped flipping the meat momentarily. "Oh, if only you knew, Iris. I want to tell you what I am, but I'm afraid you will reject me." He smiled as he served himself and Iris some meat. "Maybe you're right. You and I have some similarities; we dealt with pain in our past and present, but we are willing to heal." They ate a piece of meat that was dipped in a sauce, and it tasted heavenly. "So, now that you accepted how your parents are, what will you do?"

"I have to get away from them. It will be painful and difficult, but I can't be around a family who will only defend one's wrongdoing. I want to move into the new apartment as soon as possible and start a new beginning. I-I made also need your help."

"Of course, I would be happy to help you. You should talk with your friend Jessica about moving into the apartments to see if she agrees. Your friend is quite the spitfire."

Iris chucked as she got a piece of cabbage and filled it with meat and other toppings. "Oh, you have no idea. She may be an introvert, but she also has strength. Without her, I don't know what I would do. I hope she is enjoying her time with Rickon."

"I think they are going to have a nice time together." He watched her take a bite of her food, but there was something in his mind. The Beta knew it was too soon to ask her to give him a chance, but he didn't want to be far from his mate. "Iris, I was wondering about something." She looked at him while chewing her food. "I know this is too soon, but I like hanging with you. It's not because you saved my life, but what kind of person you are after knowing you more."

The young woman swallowed her food; she felt her heart beating rapidly. Iris sensed what Maverick wanted. "M-Maverick, I-"

Maverick raised his right hand. "I know it's too soon, but I want to do this slowly. You and I went through something traumatic that is hard to overcome, but we know what the pain feels like. We can help each other heal. I also want to show you who I am. Would you give me a chance to take you out more? I know there is more to us than meets the eye."

Iris looked down at the food. Everything was going too fast, and she feared getting hurt again. However, Maverick also went through the pain and loss of losing his family. She believed he was also afraid to do something new but was willing to take the risk. His words about pain and life stuck with her, and she couldn't deny that he had a point. She knew that Jessica would tell her the same thing. Iris looked at Maverick, who had a reassuring look on his face; she trusted him. A sigh escaped her lips. "O-Okay, but I want to take this slow. I don't want either of us to make drastic decisions."

The Beta felt relief and happiness in his being. He wanted to change into his werewolf form and howl in joy. His second chance mate was willing to give him a chance to show her he could be the one for her. "Thank you, Iris! This will be a new beginning for both of us!"