Beta Maverick

Maverick Moonscar was a werewolf, but not an ordinary werewolf; Beta of the Blood Claw Pack. He was the second-in-command for the Alpha of the pack, Matthias. Maverick was feared and considered dangerous. Despite that, he was not entirely cruel, especially regarding his mate. Finding one's mate is one of the greatest moments for a werewolf, and they usually begin at eighteen.

For Maverick, it was different. He hadn't been able to find his mate for so many years. He lost hope, but Alpha Matthias told him not to give up hope. When Maverick turned thirty, he finally found her, Ofelia. Ofelia was a werewolf from another pack who was an orphan. She was so beautiful and perfect in his eyes. A year after they met, they married; they were married for twelve years, and those were the best years of his life. They had their ups and downs. One of their troubles was that they tried to conceive. It was found that Ofelia had PCOS, and it would be difficult for her to conceive. Maverick was okay with not having children. 

However, Ofelia wanted to have their baby so badly that she felt worthless. Maverick always reassured her that it didn't matter and that they could adopt an orphaned child within or from other packs. His mate wanted to try to conceive; they eventually received the news that Ofelia had become pregnant.

All that happiness was short-lived. 

Ofelia decided to go to the pack's hospital for a checkup. Maverick wanted to go with her, but she said he shouldn't step out of the pack meeting and that she would be okay. Two hours went by, and Maverick hadn't heard from her. That's when he got a call from the hospital that Ofelia was in a hit-and-run accident and was in critical condition. Alpha Matthias and Maverick went to the hospital as fast as they could. 

The Beta will never forget when the pack's doctor went and told him that Ofelia and their unborn baby passed away. Maverick fell to the floor, crying like a child, yelling for Ofelia to return. He felt the worst pain throughout his being. He lost not only his mate but their unborn child. 

The day of the burial was the worst since he had to witness his family being buried. They were gone forever, and Maverick has never been the same since then. He began to drink excessively, and he slept with numerous women. Maverick tried to take away the pain, but nothing worked. Four months after his mate's death, he wanted to commit suicide by driving into a tree. However, Alpha Matthias discovered what his Beta was about to do and stopped him before he could go through with his plan. However, that wasn't his only suicide attempt. He tried drinking pills, cutting himself, and even tried hanging himself.

All his attempts failed.

However, he decided to use one last method: sneaking into Portland Park. Usually, the parks were empty at night. Maverick parked his car and waited for everyone to be gone; the Beta brought a gun. 

The park was clear of people, and he walked out of his car, trying to find an appropriate place to end his misery. He walked around the park contemplating his life and Ofelia. The park had many empty benches, tables, and a small playground. While looking at his surroundings, he thought about the possible life he could have had if Ofelia and their child had lived. A smile came across his lips as he imagined him and Ofelia walking around the park with their child. That he was playing tag or pushing his possible child on the swing set. The image disappeared as Maverick had stopped and sat by a table, looking at the ground and the gun. 

This was it.

There was no turning back now.

Maverick tried lifting his hand, but he couldn't. 

"LET ME DO THIS!" he yelled to himself. 

Then, he heard footsteps coming in his direction. Maverick thought it was Matthias; he was about to lift his hand but smelled something.

A scent that had a cinnamon and vanilla combination; it was heavenly. He remembered that Ofelia's scent was lavender. When werewolves find their mates, it's based on certain scents that are uncommon for others. The Beta wondered why he smelled this scent. 

The noise stopped.

"H-Hey there!? A-A-Are you okay!?"

It was a woman, and the scent was so strong that it almost felt like a drug. He slowly looked up at her and became stunned. The woman had light brown shoulder-length curly hair. Her skin was medium beige, and she was of average body type but looked like she was taking care of herself. Her lips were light pink and thin, matching her plumpy face; it made her look innocent and young. What made her noticeable were her eyes, which were golden amber.

His mouth was slightly opened. Besides the smell, his heart was beating rapidly, and it was not out of sadness and unwillingness to live. Maverick began to feel excitement, happiness, and warmth. He hadn't felt this way since he found Ofelia.

"Mate."