Wonder

Matthias and Maverick walked toward the SUV; Matthias took the wheel. He and his Beta were silent on the car ride back to the pack. The Alpha couldn't stop thinking about what Maverick had told him about the woman's scent. He heard a few stories of werewolves having a second chance mate, but they were rare. Matthias turned right toward a dirt road leading them to a mini suburb community filled with small houses, his pack. He drove past many houses until he reached the end of the road, where a four-bedroom home was seen; the lights were still on. Matthias parked and turned off the car. "So you have nothing to say for yourself?"

Maverick didn't respond since he still felt ashamed of his previous actions. His eyes were slightly red from the crying, and his mind was of Iris. The thought of her slowly made his heart feel warm. Suddenly, Matthias grabbed his shoulder and shirt; his hands trembled. "I thought you would stop this! I would always tell you to get help to help you with your grief! You always use the coward's way! Ofelia would've hated you for trying to kill yourself! If you saw her, what would she say or even look at you!?"

The Beta scoffed as he pushed his friend away. "I know! Damn it! I am selfish! You don't know how to live with the pain of losing your family! The love of your life!? Would you have anything to live for!?"

Matthias bit his lower lip as the thought of losing his family would be too much to bear. However, he knew that his wife would never forgive him if he killed himself. It took a lot of willpower and misery to take one's own life. "I would go insane, but knowing Laura, she would have wanted me to move on. She would've hated me for taking my life." The Alpha got out of his car. "Come on. You will sleep in the guest room."

Maverick slowly got out of the car and followed Matthias. The two entered the house, where they saw Matthias's wife, Laura, pacing around the kitchen. She stopped when she saw her husband and Maverick. Laura ran toward her husband; they kissed. She had short and straight raven hair with warm ivory skin. Her eyes were hazel, and her lips were light pink and plump. Laura had an average body with slightly big hips. She had a youthful appearance with a small beauty mark under the right side of her eye. Laura noticed the grim looks on the men and realized the truth; her demeanor changed. The Luna then slowly walked toward Maverick, who looked away; she double-crossed slapped him. "You tried to kill yourself again, Maverick!? What the hell is with you!?" She then looked at her husband. "I told you we shouldn't have left him out of sight!" Her anger slowly dissipated, and she hugged him. "You selfish ass. I'm angry, but I'm also relieved that you're okay."

"Laura, can you serve another plate? Maverick will be staying with us."

Suddenly, small footsteps were heard. A six-year-old boy came running out of the hallway. The boy had much of his mother's appearance but had his father's dark blue eyes and personality. "Dad, you're home!" He ran and jumped toward his father. 

Matthias chuckled as he caught his son. "Waylen, you're speed is getting better. Did you do well in school?"

"Yup! We painted pictures and ran around!" Waylen noticed Maverick. "Uncle Maverick! You're here!" He reached out for the older man. 

Maverick let out a small smile and tried to conceal his sadness. "Hey there, little man. You're getting taller." He motioned out his hands and held the boy in his arms. Waylen hugged him. "Yeah, and one day, I will be taller than you and Dad! I will one day be Alpha!"

Matthias looked amused but couldn't help but feel proud of his son. He knew that Waylen had ambitions to be Alpha, but gaining such a position was no easy task."Now, son. You have to earn for that position. You are not given the position of Alpha just because you were born into a family with that privilege. Now, go wash your hands, young man."

Maverick put him down, and Waylen washed his hands in the kitchen. "Laura, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to eat in the guest room."

"Yes, of course, go and rest."

Maverick walked to the hall's last room and closed the door behind him. "What are we going to do with him? I'm scared that he will try something again," whispered Laura.

"Luckily, a human woman saw and stopped him in his tracks. That's not all. Maverick said that he smelled a special scent from her. There's a possibility that this human female is his second chance mate."

Laura gasped. "R-Really!? Is that even possible? I never heard something like that happen before."

"It never happened in our pack's history, but there is a possibility that it has happened in other packs and the past. Tomorrow, he and I will be going to the pack's priestess. We need to make sure if this is a sure thing. We don't want to involve a human in our world."

"I agree, but honey, some humans have become mates of werewolves, but they are rare."

Matthias nodded. "That's why we need to know for sure, my love. If this woman is Maverick's second chance mate, then he can finally move on and live. She could stop him and looks like a gentle soul."

Their conversation was interrupted when Rowan walked and sat on his chair. "Mom, Dad, Uncle Maverick, are we going to eat now? I'm hungry like a wolf!" yelled Waylen.

The couple stopped with their conversation and chuckled. "Well, I hope this is true. Maverick needs a second chance; I will serve him his plate. He will need our help more than ever," said Laura.

Matthias nodded as his wife served him and their son food while she went toward Maverick's room to serve him food. The Alpha hoped that tomorrow, their answers would finally be answered.