Atrim Family

Maverick returned to his home and took a quick, warm shower. When done, he changed into a long-sleeved dark blue buttoned shirt, black khakis, and black dressy shoes. The Beta would help Matthias plan to put up more guards around the pack's territory. While doing his hair, he couldn't stop thinking about Iris. Ever since the young man's body was found, he couldn't help but worry for her. Even Rickon displayed concern for Jessica.

When he finished clicking back his hair, he felt someone was trying to contact him through mind-link; he let the communication go through. "Maverick, you finished watching over your mate?" asked Rickon. 

"Yes, were you able to contact the Atrim Family?"

"I have, and they wished to meet today in an hour. It was decided that we would meet at the underground meeting building."

"I'll be there soon." The werewolves disconnected, and Maverick immediately got in his car and drove off to the meeting building where meetings between hunters and the pack would occur. The facility was underground, so hikers or unwanted attention wouldn't find it. It only took him ten minutes to arrive; he parked his car close to the hideout; there were other cars, and he recognized them. Trees were everywhere; the sun was slowly setting up in the sky. Maverick took five steps, stopping, bending down, and moving dirt and leaves. Beneath was a metal door, which he easily opened; he went inside and closed it behind him. The lights were turned on, which made him see where he was going. The Beta walked down a couple of steps to get to the end of the tunnel. Matthias, Rickon, and ten pack members were in attendance.

The room was lit up by five light bubbles, giving it an ominous feeling. The walls were made of bricks, and no windows made it feel like a prison. Two long rectangular tables faced one another, with a couple of chairs on each side; it was kept simple. "Maverick, you made it."

"Yes, Matthias. I'm surprised that the family wanted to meet so soon."

"I was surprised as well. However, the sooner, the better. I'm hoping to get some answers." The Alpha sat down with some paperwork and the bag of bullets. He couldn't sleep all night because of the stress of having a possible rogue hunter in their midst. Matthias had to tell his wife what was happening, and he didn't want her and Waylen to go out alone at night. It was also ordered that they would have some pack members keep an eye on them whenever they were out. Laura was not happy, but she relented with much of his insistence.

Within the hour, Matthias and all in attendance spoke about the worst-case scenario and the possibilities of what needed to be done. Then, the echo of the door opening was heard; the Atrim Family members arrived. The Alpha and Beta stood behind their seats while Rickon and the rest stood behind them on the wall. The footsteps got closer and closer until the guests were seen; ten of them were seven men and three women. They all had guns on their holsters; the werewolves let out a low growl. Matthias and Maverick stood as one of the men sat on the main seat while the other stood.

The man was the patriarch of the Atrim family. He stood at five feet and eight inches tall. He had blonde hair that was slicked back; his eyes were hazel. His skin was light olive, with some scars on his face, neck, and chest. Although he was in his late fifties, he looked younger and was in good shape. "Alpha Matthias, Beta Maverick." He let out a small and short bow.

"Sir Xenon Atrim, we welcome you and thank you for coming so early," said Matthias as he and Maverick made the same bow. The leaders sat down while their guards stood and kept vigilant. I hope it wasn't too much trouble for you to come here. I am certain you are preoccupied with keeping your family and organization afloat."

"It can be tiring but to keep the peace, one's comfort and sentiments must be put aside. Now, let us get to business. What is the reason for this meeting? Our annual meeting usually is held by December 31st."

Matthias nodded as he handed out two folders, which he motioned to Rickon, who gave them to Xenon. When the older man opened them, his eyes and lips widened. "I know the pictures are hard to look at, but these former rogues were brutally murdered near our territory. They were new members of my pack."

Xenon saw the picture of the murdered family, and it made his heart ache when he saw the children were involved. "I see. I'm sorry for such a terrible loss. However, as you know, we hunters are not involved in your pack business. I assume that you need assistance in finding the killer?"

The Alpha and Beta glanced at one another and then at the hunter patriarch. "Yes, we do need your help. While looking at the bodies, we found these." Matthias then took out a bag. "They're no ordinary bullets; they are made of silver."

Silence reigned in the room. The hunters looked at the bullets and looked uncomfortable. Maverick noticed the hunters' reactions, but Xenon's reaction made him curious. The patriarch's fingers were slightly twitching, and he would look away occasionally. "Are you insinuating that a hunter did this?"

"Yes, who else would know what would kill a werewolf? Someone knew that these victims were werewolves. I have a feeling that whoever did this is targeting my pack." Matthias put the bag down. "The nearest hunter family is yours."

Xenon became serious. "Are you accusing my family of this?"

"No, sir. We have no proof that any of your members did this. However, your family are the only ones that are near our territory. It would take days for other hunters to arrive to our pack's territory. We wanted to inform you of the situation and we need your help to get justice."

The older man stood. "Very well, I will see what I can do. We will communicate more with one another with any information or progress. I need to take my leave." The Alpha and Beta stood while they watched Xenon and his guards leave the room. 

Once the door was closed, Matthias sighed. "Thank goodness that this didn't lead to a fight."

"Agreed, but I feel that he and his family are hiding something. Worse, they may know something about this. Did you see the way they looked when seeing the buulets?" asked Maverick.

"I did. We need to keep a close eye on them. I fear that the perpetrator will strike again. You and Rickon will also have to keep a watch on your mates."

"Yeah, I know. I will see Iris tonight. It's time for the wolf to come out of the shadows."