Answers

Iris walked on the grass, but her surroundings were dark. "Where am I? " she asked herself. The more she walked, the more the darkness began to dissipate. Eventually, trees surrounded her, and there were grass hills from afar. The young woman stopped and felt a cool breeze past her; she felt at peace. When she looked up, there was a full moon. 

Iris closed my eyes, and then she heard something. She listened to howling, which wasn't far away. When she opened her eyes, something was approaching from the trees. Iris saw golden eyes that glowed in the dark.

It was a wolf.

The wolf had dark brown fur and golden eyes and was taller than any wolf. What confused her a bit was that she felt no fear toward it. They looked at one another, and the wolf bowed its head. Then, she heard its bones cracking, getting her out of her peaceful trance. The wolf lost all its fur, and it was nothing but skin. The shape of the wolf became smaller, and it stopped changing. 

Her eyes widened as she saw a man curved in a ball. The man stayed in that position, and she slowly walked toward him. 

Iris stood before the man and slowly motioned her hand down to touch his shoulder. As she got closer, the man moved and..."

*BZZZ! BZZZ! BZZZZ! BZZZZ!*

"Gah!"

Iris breathed heavily as her cell phone rang. She looked around and realized she was in a hotel room she had rented for the night. Iris got her phone and turned off the alarm. When she did, messages popped up from her ex-fiance; they were deleted. 

Her sister didn't even try to send her a message; it showed no remorse for what she had done. However, she wasn't too surprised since her sister never apologized for anything unless it was forced on her. Iris's phone vibrated, and it was from her best friend, Jessica. She sighed and answered. "IRIS! Thank god you responded! I was scared that you would do something to yourself! Where are you!?"

"Good morning to you, too, Jessica. Sorry for not answering. I wasn't in my right state of mind. I'm at a hotel."

"Girl, there's no reason for you to apologize for anything! Some friends and I were worried about you! Please tell me which hotel you're in. You'll be staying with me!"

Iris shook her head. "Jessica, I have a place, and I-!"

"Nope! I don't want to hear it! You and I know that the son of a bitch will go there and try to make up some excuse for him cheating! Your lease is about to expire anyway. You can stay with me until we find you another place! Tell me the address so we can go to your apartment and get your things packed."

"Alright. How about this? I will meet you at my old place, and I will meet you there. Can you get me some boxes to start packing?'

"Say no more, girl! I'll meet you there in an hour." 

They hung up. Iris didn't want to return to her place because she knew HE would be there. However, Iris knew Jessica wouldn't let him get near her; the woman could scare a grown man away. She slowly sat up, thinking about the dream she had, and then thought about Maverick. Iris debated whether or not she should text him. "Well, it wouldn't hurt," she thought. 

"Good morning, Maverick. It's Iris from yesterday. I just wanted to make sure that you're okay and safe. Please don't hesitate to text or call me if you need anything."

The message was sent. 

She would soon see if he would respond, but she now must deal with her problems.

Meanwhile, Maverick and Matthias woke early to visit the pack's Priestess. The men were already dressed, walked out of the house, and went toward their destination. It was still early morning, and many inhabitants were still asleep while others were guarding the pack's territory. Alpha and Beta still had slight bags under their eyes; neither slept well from the previous night. "Nervous?" asked Matthias.

Maverick massaged his eyes, trying to keep himself awake. "A bit. I don't know what to expect." 

"I know, but you need to be open with whatever happens. Also, sorry for the hit to the face. My wife and I-"

"No need to apologize. I deserved it since I was selfish. Look, we're here."

The men stood in front of a small cottage-like house that looked like it came from a fairytale. The cottage was made of a clay-like substance with some bricks on the bottom section; the roof was made of gray straw that was nicely organized. In the front was a garden on the left and right sides with different arrays of flowers and plant life. Like Matthias's home, it was apart from the rest of the houses. The Priestess of the pack liked her privacy, where she could pray in peace. Matthias knocked on the door, and the door was opened by an older woman in her late fifties. She had long raven hair with some grays. Her right eye was golden, and her left was dark brown. Although older, she still held parts of her youth that many would have confused her with being in her mid-thirties. She had an average figure with long, clear-polished nails. Her lips were light pink and thin. She wore a long, light brown dress with handmade jewelry and belts.

"Alpha, Beta, what a surprise so early in the morning."

"Priestess Hecate, forgive us for bothering you. You were about to do your prayers?" asked Matthias. 

"Indeed, Alpha. However..." She looked at Maverick. "I can sense that Beta Maverick needs my assistance. Please, come inside."

The two entered. Inside was a large handmade bonfire-style fireplace in the center of the house. There was one room that led to her bedroom, one bathroom, and one small kitchen. On the right side of her home were shelves containing jars with herbs, plants, and other liquids. Hecate motioned them to sit by the fire while she sat on the other side.

"Beta Maverick, your wolf and spirit are filled with conflict; you tried retaking your life."

Maverick bit his lower lip and nodded in shame. "I-I would have succeeded if a human woman hadn't stopped me. I smelled a cinnamon and vanilla scent from her. What confused me was that when we werewolves smell certain scents, that means that we found our mate. Is it possible to have a second chance mate?"

Priestess Hecate was silent as she looked into the fire. Matthias and Maverick noticed her trance-like state while looking at the fire. She blinked her eyes and gave them her attention. "I see, now. The Moon Goddess has shown me an image of her and has given me a message. That human female is your second chance mate."

That was what Maverick needed to hear; the hope in his heart intensified. He was given not only another chance to live but also to love again. "Priestess Hecate, I heard stories about second-chance mates, but they are a rarity. Many werewolves have lost their mates, but many couldn't get another mate. How is this possible?" asked Matthias. 

"When mates die, they meet with the Moon Goddess to decide if they reincarnate or choose to have another fate after death. It would seem Ofelia had the strength to communicate with the Moon Goddess to ask her to give Beta Maverick a second chance mate." Priestess Hecate looked at Maverick. "You have a second chance mate because your wife wished it to the Moon Goddess."

Maverick's eyes widened as he looked at the fire. "Ofelia, you asked the Moon Goddess for this to happen?" His eyes began to water, but he wiped them. "Priestess, can you communicate to the Moon Goddess what happened to Ofelia and our child?"

Priestess Hecate sighed. "There are certain things that the Moon Goddess will not say to me. There is a possibility that they have been reborn in another life on this planet or another. All I can say is that Ofelia has offered you a last gift, a second chance." She stood as did the men. "May the Moon Goddess bless you."

The two nodded and walked out of the house. 

"Wow, I didn't expect this at all. It was Ofelia who made this happen. Maverick, even in death, Ofelia wanted you to be happy. Don't let her gift go to waste." Maverick was about to speak when he felt his phone vibrating. He got his phone and saw that Iris sent him a text. "She sent you a text?"

"Yes, she did. She wanted to know if I was doing okay."

Matthias smiled. "Well, this is it, Maverick. You can choose to answer, or you can delete the message. The decision will be up to you. I will meet you in the house." The Alpha walked away.

Maverick stood still while looking at the text message. He could have it deleted, but being told that Ofelia wanted this made him consider the possibility of a new life. He bit his lower lip and decided to respond to Iris' text.