Close Call

A single bullet was fired, but Maverick dodged it with ease. Iris hid behind the tree as the bullet passed by her and hit another tree afar. Iris took a peek, and Maverick ran toward the assailant, who began to shoot his gun toward him. The Beta would dodge every bullet using his speed; sometimes, he climbed on top of trees. "You damn dog! Running like the animal you are!"

While the two were occupied with one another, Iris focused on Asher, who still had his hands over his ears. The boy looked in a frightened, trance-like state and looked afraid to move. Iris feared that the assailant might use Asher to his advantage, and she didn't want the child's life at risk. The young woman took a deep breath and began to speed walk behind large trees to ensure she wouldn't be seen. Iris eventually made it behind a tree close to Asher. "Asher!" she whispered loudly.

The child didn't look or change his position; the fighting got more intense as Maverick and the assailant were all over the place. "There is no other option," she told herself. She slowly approached Asher and put her hands on his shoulders, making the boy flinch. Asher slowly turned to Iris. "It's okay, little one. I'm here to help. I want to get you to safety."

Meanwhile, Maverick was on top of a tree as he dodged the latest bullet. He noticed that the assailant was losing stamina. When the assailant pulled the trigger, there was nothing; he ran out of bullets. "Damn it!" Maverick, in his werewolf form, growled. The Beta wanted to kill him but noticed the body of the other dead werewolf. It made Maverick wonder if the assailant was the one responsible for the murders. If that was the case, then he needed the man alive. Then, he noticed the assailant throwing his gun and reaching for something in his back pocket. He took the opportunity and jumped on his enemy, making him lose balance.

However, the assailant got a knife out and gave Maverick a small scratch on his left forearm. To the Beta's shock, he felt a slight burning sensation from the knife wound. He let out a low growl. "Silver! He's a hunter!"

The assailant took Maverick's sudden distraction and moved away from the wolf. He knew that his knife wouldn't be enough to kill him and believed that the werewolf would not let him leave so easily. At the corner of his eye, he noticed Iris carrying the child in her arms. The assailant got on his feet and ran toward them. Maverick noticed him and realized that he was going toward Iris and Asher. "NO!"

Maverick jumped off from the tree toward Iris' side, but before he landed, he saw his enemy getting a hold of her, but not before Iris threw Asher toward a pile of bushes, cushioning his landing. Iris was held hostage as the knife was put on her neck. "One move, and I will slit this woman's throat." The hunter held her hair so tight that Iris felt parts of her scalp would be scraped off; she yelped. Maverick kept his stance and let out a low and threatening growl. His eyes turned pitch black; his sharp teeth were displayed that would make even the bravest animal tremble in fear. The assailant smirked as he slowly began to walk back with Iris in hand. Maverick felt utter rage and fear. He wanted to destroy his enemy but couldn't risk Iris's safety. "I see. This woman is your mate. Feeling from her aura, she is human. How stupid can you be? Bringing a human to your business." He then eyed Iris as he still had the tip of the knife on her neck. "You're such a fool. Accepting to be the mate of a dog will only bring you suffering."

Iris glared at him and then glanced at Asher, hiding behind a large tree; she was relieved he was safe. "You're the fool for not trying to understand them!" The grip on her hair tightened! You hurt innocent werewolves that never meant harm! Who's genuinely the monster!?"

The hunter put the tip of the knife slightly deep into her neck, and a speck of blood dripped down. "You don't know what the hell you're talking about! You don't know know anything!" He was about to slash her neck but couldn't when he heard a sound that came with a loud bang. Everyone was still for a moment. Blood splattered on Iris and the assailant. The knife was shot out from his hand. On the right side of the forest stood Matthias, in his human form, Rickon, and other pack members; some were in their human or werewolf form. One of the pack members wore his police uniform and held out his handgun; he shot toward the assailant. 

The grip on Iris lessened since the assailant was shot in his right shoulder; he screamed in pain. The young woman ran toward Asher, who looked into his fear and shock. "I-It's okay, little one. You're safe. We won't hurt you." She motioned out her hands and arms. Asher didn't move; his lips and body trembled. Iris slowly wrapped her arms around him, hugging him close to her. Asher's trembling slowly died; he felt safe and warm in Iris' hold. He felt that he could trust her. The child began to let out small and quiet cries.

Matthias and the others surrounded the hunter and glared at him angrily. "Take him to the pack's dungeons! I will deal with him later!" In their human forms, the pack members forcibly grabbed the hunter and forced him away from the forest. Maverick was still in his werewolf form, but Rickon, who was in his werewolf form, put down Maverick's clothes. "I found them, so I thought I would bring them to you," he said through mind-link. 

The Beta picked his clothes using his mouth, went behind a large tree, changed back to his human form and onto his clothes, and then walked out. Maverick was still in shock from everything that happened. The hunter was about to kill Iris; he was about to lose someone dear to him again. He slowly went toward Iris, who held Asher in her arms. "Maverick, I-" she couldn't finish her statement as Maverick held her and Asher in his arms. She was surprised by the sudden act, but Iris knew Maverick was worried for her and Asher's safety. Iris bit her lower lip and hugged him. "I'm sorry," she said.

The two eventually separated from their hug as the other pack members were putting a white sheet over the deceased werewolf. So many things went through Beta's mind, but Iris and Asher were his top priorities. Matthias walked towards them. "I'm glad that you are all okay. Iris, are you hurt?"

"N-No, just shocked." Iris then noticed Maverick's wound; it slowly got bigger. That was when she remembered about the silver he was hit with. "Maverick, your arm!"

Matthias and Maverick looked down and noticed the slightly burnt skin. "Maverick, go to the hospital so they can give you the antidote. When you're done, take Iris and Asher to your home. I will interrogate the hunter. 

Maverick nodded as he looked at Iris and Asher, who looked traumatized. "Come on, we also have a lot to talk about."