Disappointment

Iris and Jessica were taken away from the room and motioned toward the living room, where they sat. Meanwhile, the men entered the room with the door closed and used their mind-link to communicate; Matthias and Maverick glared at Rickon. "The destroyed car and the writing must have been Andrea's doing!" Matthias shook his head. "You still haven't told her about your ex, did you?"

Rickon looked at the writing on the wall. At first, he thought it was a possible murder, but since it was Jessica's car and room, there was no doubt that it was Andrea's doing. "I haven't. I thought it wasn't the best time until I had her trust and told her of my identity."

Alpha and Beta growled lowly in frustration. "So you want to leave everything until the last minute until something bad happens!? Damn it, brother! Look at the consequences! Your crazy ex knows where your mate lives, and there will always be a possibility that she might return. Also, we don't want her to cause a stir for the upcoming rogues, and some of them are coming tomorrow!" Matthias never liked involving himself with his brother's affairs, and he did state that since Andrea didn't oppose any threat, then there was nothing he could do. However, Andrea had acted deranged, which could endanger Jessica and the other pack members. He didn't want his new pack members to feel unsafe. 

"Matthias, where will the women go? I don't want Iris to stay here. I'm afraid that Andrea is going to do something stupid. If she does, I'm afraid that I will be the last person she will see," Maverick said in a quiet and menacing tone.

It was quiet, and Matthias paced around momentarily until he stopped. "There will be no other option. The women will stay with me and Laura." Maverick and Rickon looked at the Alpha with confusion and shock. "There is no other place that the women would be safe. Andrea wouldn't dare attack the Alpha's home. It would mean imminent death. We also have spare rooms for them and-"

"Alpha, Iris is my mate. She will stay with me."

"Maverick, she-"

"Andrea is after Jessica, and I know Iris is very protective and would do anything and everything for her friend. I don't want her to get hurt for the stupidity of others." Maverick glared at Rickon. "I will tell her the truth of who I am."

Matthias and Rickon looked at Maverick and were shocked at his sudden statement. The Alpha believed it was an impulsive act of desperation, but knowing Maverick, he knew his Beta was a werewolf of his world. "Alright, but Jessica will stay with me and Laura for now." Rickon was going to go against the idea, but the Alpha stopped him. "Now is not the time. Jessica is terrified as it is. Also, this punishment is for making stupid decisions and not acting when you should have. Once Jessica has calmed down, you will tell her the truth; all of it! Understand?"

Rickon bit his lower lip when he felt the mind-link disconnect. He wanted Jessica to stay with him but knew his brother was right. He made a mess of things. Matthias and Maverick left the room, where they saw Iris hugging and playing with Jessica's hair, which seemed to soothe her. The women saw them, and Jessica slowly sat up. "S-So what's going to happen now?" asked Jessica.

"You ladies will not stay here until we find who did this. Don't worry, Jessica. You will get a new car, and the room will be fixed. Although, we don't know if you will still want to stay here." Matthias massaged his forehead. "Jessica, you will stay with me and my family until Rickon resolves this."

This caught the women off guard. "J-Just me? Wh-What about Iris? She's not going to stay here alone, is she? I don't want that crazy freak who did this to get to her."

Maverick stepped forward. "Don't worry, Iris will stay with me." He noticed Iris looking confused and slightly afraid. "I know you two want to be together, but I don't want Matthias to take all the responsibility. Besides, I thought getting closer and seeing more of one another would be nice." Iris blushed and nodded in response. Jessica, however, thought that Rickon would invite her to his house. It hurt her a bit that Rickon may not have offered her to stay with him. "Don't worry. You two will still be able to communicate and visit one another. Now go on and take things you might need."

The women stood and went to their rooms to get clothes, shoes, and other necessities and put them in their luggage. When the women packed their things, everyone exited the apartments and got to the parking lot. Iris and Jessica felt off that they would be separated but knew they would occasionally see one another. Iris, Maverick, and Rickon watched Jessica enter Matthias's car, and the two drove off. Maverick eyed Rickon, who looked like the most miserable man in the world. The Beta felt sorry for his friend, but Rickon had to be taught an important lesson about taking responsibility for his actions. "Come on, let's go." He motioned Iris to get inside his car while he put her luggage in the trunk of his car. Once that was done, Maverick got in the driver's seat and drove off toward his house.

"I can't believe this is happening, Maverick. Jessica and I move here for a new beginning and then all of this. Fate can be messed up at times."

"Don't think of it that way, Iris. Sometimes, things happen for a reason. Look at the bright side: you and Jessica have us. Believe me when I tell you we see you as part of our family."

Iris smiled when she looked at Maverick. She gathered her courage and slowly motioned her hand out, wanting him to hold it. The werewolf was shocked by her small act and felt his heart warm. He held her hand gently while he used the other to drive. "Iris, I know you've been through a lot today, but I was wondering if we could have a small dinner date tonight. Also, there is something I need to tell you."

"Oh, that sounds nice. I hope that whatever it is is good news." Maverick felt Iris gently squeeze his hand; he did the same.

"Well, I guess it will depend on how you perceive it. It is something I always wanted to let you know. I hope it doesn't come out too much of a shock."

The young woman felt confused by what Maverick said. He sounded slightly nervous, as if Maverick wanted to tell her a secret. She hoped that whatever it was, it wouldn't be too profound.