Alpha Matthias

Alpha Matthias just finished a meeting with some of his pack's financial advisors. The members were in a meeting building within the pack village. Once the meeting was over and the financial advisors left, Matthias was happy that he would go home with his mate and son. However, before going home, he decided to try to contact Maverick through mind link. He and Maverick grew up together since they were children and saw one another as brothers. Both werewolves looked out for one another; Matthias was there when Maverick's wife died and when he tried committing suicide. He made it his concern to check on his friend constantly.

The Alpha tried to contact his Beta, but the mind link seemed blocked on Maverick's end. His being froze. "Maverick, what are you-" His thoughts were interrupted when one of my pack members ran to him. "Alpha, sorry for the bother, but Beta Maverick is not in his house! Some members tried looking for him everywhere, but he was nowhere to be found!"

The Alpha tensed and knew that his friend might be trying to commit suicide once again. "Damn it! Not again!" Matthias thought about changing into his werewolf form, but he felt Maverick would be far from the pack. Showing his werewolf outside the pack's territory would be risky. With his superspeed, he got home and then toward his garage. His wife noticed her mate but saw his feared expression; that was when she knew it had to do with Maverick.  

Once inside the large garage, Matthias got his keys, reached inside his black SUV, and drove off when the garage doors opened. He drove on the road like a madman; anxiety and fear overwhelmed him. His windows were opened as he tried to get Maverick's scent. It was faint, but he knew his Beta was in the small city. "Got you! You better not die, damn it!"

Meanwhile, Maverick looked at the young woman before him as the heavenly scent filled his nose. He thought it was impossible for him to smell a soothing scent besides Ofelia. Was there the possibility that a werewolf could have a second chance mate? The Beta slowly stood. "Wh-What's your name?"

Surprised by his sudden action, Iris walked several steps back to get some space. "Oh, uh, it's Iris and yours?"

"I'm Maverick Moonscar. Wh-What pack are you from?"

Iris looked confused. "Pack? What the heck is he talking about?" The possibility of him being shocked was evident, so she thought his mind was slowly coming to grips with what he was about to do. "Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. M-Maybe it would be best if you relaxed for a bit. You had a gun on you." Maverick was surprised by her answer and began to have some suspicions about her identity. He smelled her and was still when he realized that Iris was human. So many thoughts trailed in his mind. The werewolf tried to commit suicide, finding out that a human female was his possible second chance mate and his family. Everything became too much in his mind and heart; he fell to his knees again as his body trembled. Iris didn't know what to do but kicked the gun away so he wouldn't get any idea of trying to hurt himself. Seeing his state saddened her heart; he felt a pain that even she couldn't imagine feeling. Iris slowly walked toward Maverick, knelt before him, and hugged him tightly. "You're okay, Maverick. You're going to be okay."

The werewolf was shocked by the gesture. A human woman whom he didn't know hugged him; his heart was beating rapidly. Her embrace felt so warm and right that it reminded him of Ofelia and all the hugs she had given him. It was all too much. However, he unconsciously put his arms around her. Deep down, he missed the feeling of being held with such affection. Tears dripped from his eyes and onto her shirt, but Iris didn't mind.

Maverick bit his lower lip so hard that drips of blood dropped. He didn't want to cry in front of her, but his body screamed to let it all out. He let out a cry, and more tears dripped. "I-I lost my wife, my mate, and our unborn child! Why wasn't I taken away with them! The pain hurts so much that I feel that I'm going to burst!"

"I'm so sorry that you went through something traumatic! Killing yourself is not the right answer! It's selfish of you to try to take your life away! Don't you have other people that love and care for you!? Would you cause them the pain to lose you too!?" Iris hugged him tighter; she didn't know why, but a sudden emotional pain overwhelmed her. A strong urge to protect also overcame her. "Pain is something no one wants or should feel, but this is part of life. We have to live through it and learn from it!" She slowly let him go but held onto his handsome face. "I know your heart is hurting, but you must live and find your purpose. Your wife would have wanted you to do that."

Maverick's tears slowly became dry as he looked at Iris; she understood his pain. Whenever he looked at her, his heart felt the one thing he thought died with Ofelia: hope. "MAVERICK!" The two flinched and saw who yelled at them. Alpha Matthias ran into the park and saw Maverick. He immediately went to him and noticed that his friend wasn't alone; there was a woman. That was when he realized that she was a human. He stopped midway, where he also noticed the gun. He felt relieved that his friend was still alive. "H-Hello, are you his friend or family?"

Matthias cringed as he got out of shock; he cleared his throat. "I'm his friend, and I was looking for him. You have my sincerest gratitude, Miss...?"

"Iris Gomez."

"The name is Matthias. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this." The Alpha then glared at Maverick, who refused to look at him. He knew that his Beta was ashamed of his actions. "I will ensure that my friend here finally gets the help he needs." 

Iris stood and assisted Maverick in doing the same. "Well, I'm happy that he has a friend he can rely on. Please motivate him to get help. I guess I will get going." Maverick grabbed her hand as she was about to leave; the sudden action surprised her.

"W-Wait, I-I would like to see you again. I-I know this was a terrible situation, but I-I-" He didn't want to let her go. "Please don't leave me," he thought. Maverick tried to speak more, but his mouth and throat were dry.

"Y-Yeah, sure. Want to switch numbers, and we can meet again." Maverick agreed, and the two switched numbers. "Well, I'll call you tomorrow to see how you are doing." Iris hugged him again, kissed his right cheek, and left. Maverick wanted to reach out for her, but Matthias stopped him by touching his shoulder; they watched as she returned to her car and left. 

Once the werewolves were alone, Matthias punched him across the face without warning. "You had the fucking balls to try to kill yourself again! This has gone far enough! You-!" He was interrupted.

"Did you smell anything from her?"

Matthias looked confused. "No. What are you talking about?"

"I smelled cinnamon and vanilla from her."

Matthias was silent and thoughtful. "I didn't smell anything of that kind. If you smelled that from her, does that mean that..?"

"That's what I smell from her. I-I'm just so confused. When meeting her, all I want is to see her again."

"Come on. You will be staying with me and Laura for now. Tomorrow, we will speak with the pack's priestess."