54

I dug my heels into the dust and looked around for them. There were no lights to be found anywhere though I knew I had seen them. There were two and they hovered next to the top of the slide. Fight or flight? my brain asked, assuming that this was one of them. These vampires were quick with their work. It was possible one already sniffed me out. I didn't pick either option though. I sat on the swing, unmoving like an unbelievable opossum playing dead. "Thorne, you can come over here", called a voice. It was familiar and sort of friendly with a deep baritone to it. I remained still, suspicious about Oliver's views of Andy before I heard Biersack laughing.

"Thorne." The blue lights appeared from nowhere again and I realized they were his eyes. He came out from the shadows and crept into the moonlight, all but glowing where his frosty skin was exposed. He was wearing black skinnys with matching cowboy boots and a high collared, leather jacket. It was a little too warm for that right now but then again, I guess vampires don't feel temperatures well. "I know what Sykes has tried to tell you. I promise I won't", Andy announced, holding up his hands. I watched him approach me before I finally managed to say anything.

"We got in a fight", I mumbled lamely. Andy shrugged, like he didn't care, and pulled out his pack of cigarettes.

"That tends to happen with him", the slayer said, offering his pack to me. I took one before he lit another one for himself. "What was it about?"

"Just stupid stuff. I don't know what provoked me to start it", I replied. "I just...I dunno. Maybe I kind of care about Oliver." Andy watched me inhale the cigarette and cringe at how the smoke burned my throat. I was a veteran drinker but not really a smoker.

"Well, what does that mean?"

I pulled at my hair and shook my head. "I don't know. After all the dumb kisses and the charitable little moments, and him telling you we're dating today. I dunno. I was just...omiGod, it's so dumb now that I think about it. Oliver couldn't have been serious with any of that. I mean, I'm a fucking grave robber. Third to prostitution and farming, that's like the world's oldest profession."

Andy's eyebrows came together and he smiled. "Thorne, there's nothing wrong with you being a grave robber?" he said. "I don't know why you'd think so-"

"Because, Andy. Think about it. Who wants to be with a body snatcher when they can have an actress or a doctor or something...you know, normal."

"I don't know. I think you're pretty normal."

"You're also a vampire", I pointed out.