4

Thorne's POV

In no time we were back at the apartment, a two bedroom thing above the failing voodoo shop my sister owned. People came for commercial voodoo and got pissed off when Valerie said she refused to sell mass produced dolls that had no meaning. She was in the kitchen, fixing us some po-boys when Nikki and I arrived with our esteemed guest.

"Who is this?" Valerie questioned. "And where's the body?"

"I am the body", Oliver shrugged, walking to our fridge. He was quick to make himself at home. "Oi, do you have any raw beef?"

Valerie folded her arms and glared at me and Nikki. "Guys, this isn't funny. Who the Hell is this guy?" she whispered.

"Fucking Thorne picked him up, ask her", Nikki grunted.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious! This is the body!" I exclaimed. "He's a vampire or a demon or something."

"Well..." Valerie trailed off and gave Oliver a sideways glance. "Let's test it." She reached for the crucifix around her neck and took it off, slowly approaching Oliver like she was going to hit him with it. I waited, for the sound of searing flesh that you always hear in movies from where it would burn him. Valerie slammed her hand into Oliver's neck, making him yelp.

"What the bloody Hell are you doing you cow?!" he wailed. Oliver fell to the ground, grabbing his neck where she had basically karate chopped him.

"Did it burn?" Valerie asked hopefully.

"No it hurt! You tried disconnecting my neck and my shoulder!"

"I meant did this burn?" She dangled the necklace from her hand. Oliver shook his head and put his face in his hands.

"You mortals are all so daft", he grumbled. He looked up at us with tired brown eyes, like he had already explained this countless times over. "My kind is older than that thing in your hand", he stated. "How can a god who doesn't exist burn me?"