50

Oliver thought for a moment. "Well, for one thing, you have to know what they are", he stated. "As we don't want to be discovered because people like Ballsack come in and start trying to stab each of us. You have to be a nescience to the Community-"

"And just what the Hell have I done to your community?!" I barked.

"Thorne, I don't know", Oliver answered quietly. "But someone feels that you've met that mark." I pressed myself against him and for the first time I felt genuinely scared. Being a Louisiana native, I knew a lot about the supernatural but knowing what Oliver was, knowing that they were real and other vampires were allowed to come get me was unsettling. What if they weren't as civilized as Oliver? What if whoever found me wanted to tear my throat out and bask in my fountain of blood? My mind started picturing a baba yaga type creature coming for me as I tried burying myself deeper into Oliver's chest.

"But, there's always a but!" Oliver said, trying to smile. "Should the vampire decide that the mortal is too...impor-useful. If the vampire decides the human is too useful, he is entitled to protect his mortal, as they are basically his."

"But I don't belong to you", I snarled. "I don't belong to anyone."

"As far as the Underground is concerned, you are mine", Oliver pointed out plainly. "You live with me. I've done things for you. You basically are. Anyway, the plus side to this Right is that I can choose to either get rid of you or protect you from others of my kind that are trying to take what's mine."