49

The vampire sighed and looked to his nails before patting the bed. I sat down at the foot before Oliver pulled me into him like a little girl trying to snuggle her cat. "Thorne, this is incredibly serious", he said softly. "Awfully, painfully serious."

"Like how serious?"

"Like shut up so I can tell you, serious." Oliver chewed on his lip, trying to find the right words I guess before he began. "The Right of Blood was created long before I came into being. It was created and instated during a time when humanity was struggling, thus there were remarkably fewer humans than vampires. Most, if not all vampires who can remember writing the Right are probably dead, as they went mad and hid in caves, attacking villages and being hunted."

"The Right of Blood states that should a vampire be harboring a mortal, regardless of why, other vampires are entitled to try taking it from them to do whatever they please. Like Elizabeth Bathory would keep them for blood letting. Sava Savanovic would eat passersby. I keep you because we're friends."

"I've never heard of a Sava-"

"He's a strange little Serbian man", Oliver interrupted. "Creature. He's not really a vampire...he's like a ghost vampire. Sava's an odd one. Anyway, the Right of Blood dictates that any human who's associating with a vampire is free game to other ones. Now before you get upset, there are a few conditions that the human has to meet."

"What kind of conditions?" I questioned, feeling not so safe in Oliver's bayou estate now.