44

The dress was a bit long but she assured me that with heels it would be okay. Awkwardly, I picked up the skirt and followed her back out to the wanna-be stage by the sitting area. Oliver sat up, putting his elbows on his knees to examine the details. "Well?" I shrugged, waiting for a response from either of the creatures staring at me.

"Thorne. This", Oliver said, bouncing his index finger. "I like this. Maria, why didn't you bring this out first? We've wasted so much time here for you to bring this out last."

"It's been a personal project", Maria argued as Oliver stood up. He walked around me, letting his eyes linger in different spots to examine the detail. I held my breath, biding my time until Oliver made a decision. He said he liked it but then again, Oliver could just as easily demand that Maria find something he'd like more.

"We're getting this one", announced Oliver, much to my relief. I loved all of Maria's dresses but I was getting tired of climbing in and out of them. "How much is it?"

"I haven't even put it on the floor", Maria stated. "So-"

"So it's not priced so we get it for free", Oliver reasoned. "Being the kind soul I am, I'll give you 500, plus whatever Kellin gives you."

"Oliver, you can't just-"

"I don't see a price tag", he sang. Maria didn't argue with him as he pushed me back to the fitting rooms. "She'll have to take some of this in", Oliver mumbled, pulling off the clamps that held the dress up. "It needs to fit."

"What're you wearing?" I asked, reaching for my bra before anything else. Oliver didn't eyeball me this time, just hung the dress back up on its hanger.

"You know. Clothes."

"What kind of clothes?"

"You'll have to find out, won't you?" Oliver teased. I rolled my eyes and yanked on my jeans and my shirt before he stopped me. "Anyway, I seriously think this one is the best on you. You looked...well, you looked quite radiant in this one."

"Thanks", I murmured awkwardly. Oliver's body blocked the way out and even though I tried gesturing for him to move, he didn't seem to notice and kept talking.

"I know the idea of being at a party with the likes of me probably isn't the most enticing idea for the likes of you", he continued. "But I'm glad you're willing to do it. I haven't had a real friend in ages, you know. I mean, I've had friends, but not a proper one since Ballsack's mate offed Mitch."

"I'm sorry about him", I mumbled. "I can't imagine going through all those losses."