18

I crept over and sat down on the couch awkwardly. Oliver snaked an arm around my waist and pulled me down so I was laying with him. He kept his word. The worst thing that happened was every now and again he'd snort loudly at something on TV. Valerie and Nikki arrived with the raw meat Oliver had been begging for. He gulped it down quickly and frankly, it was a strange sight. Eventually, he pushed me away from him on the couch.

"I'm tired", Oliver said. "After a night of trying to save myself, I'd like to sleep. I expect one of you to be up early to drive me home. I'll reward you for your services."

"Alright then", Valerie nodded. Oliver closed his eyes so she brought Nikki and I into one of the bedrooms. "Thorne, you brought him here, you have to drive him home."

"But-"

"And you also didn't fill our order", Nikki added. "Which means I have to go out and by this guy's logic, I'll have to find a new dig spot."

"So you're up kiddo. Do us good."

"Oh and if Oliver asks you to do an extra something for that reward..."

"Nikki, that's not going to happen."

"He made us buy him raw meat!"

"Yeah because he was hungry!" Valerie rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Thorne, he's your problem. When he wants a ride, you take him home." She pushed me and Nikki out of the room so she could put on her pajamas. Nikki grabbed a crowbar by the door and left the apartment. I ended my night by making coffee and slumping up against a wall, watching Oliver as he slept so I'd be ready when he wanted to leave.

I guess in normal cases it would be almost terrifying thinking there was a sleeping vampire in front of me but in New Orleans, spirits, demons, witches, and everything else wasn't unheard of. Especially vampires. We were a city built on superstition and tradition. Plus it didn't hurt that Oliver was so attractive. I focused hard enough on his rhythmic breathing that I actually started imitating it myself. When I got comfortable, I'd shift positions so I wouldn't fall asleep. With a hand wrapped tightly around the coffee cup, I hunkered down underneath a blanket and watched Oliver until the sun came up.