"My Angel in Disguise" 38

“I remember during 9th grade, we were in class and Russell was so bored that he suddenly sang during class and even stood up on his chair” said Natalie then they all laughed. “I remember too, when we went out for a swim. We all jumped down the pool already but Daphne was left because she was scared of the water and didn’t tell us” Daniel said and they all laughed. Then Tiffany noticed Kathryn was uneasy. “Hey, are you alright?” she asked her, Kathryn smiled and nodded. “Kathryn how was it like in California?” asked Natalie. “I didn’t have much fun as you guys did” she told them. “I didn’t have much friends there because I was new, that’s why I came back here, to where I really belong” said Kathryn as she looked at them. “Let’s get rid of all bad memories then! Cheers!” shouted Daniel and they kept on drinking.

Not long, Daphne and Natalie were all drunk and dizzy that Daniel had to bring them up. “I’ll help you” said Tiffany as she stood up and carried Natalie. “Will you two be back?” asked Russell; “Yeah, you two just stay there” answered Daniel. Kathryn and Russell stayed, the ambiance was beautiful, clouds covered the night sky, the wind gently blew and the bon fire was alive. “I finally knew how Champagne Roses look like” said Kathryn as she looked at the fire. Russell looked at Kathryn, “I didn’t know that they were my favorite flowers. I didn’t really pay attention to their name” she added. “You like them too?” he asked her. Kathryn looked at him and nodded, “My mom likes them too” she continued as Russell looked and listen to her. “She loved flowers very much and planting too but she would always pay more attention to Champagne Roses. I actually know their names, I just, I just forgot them for awhile. I wonder why” she went on with her story as she stood up and leaned on the table.

“Where’s your mom now?” he asked, “She’s in heaven now, dancing with the angels as she sprinkled flower petals around. She died of a sickness and I already had forgotten when and where, and how…” Kathryn slowly mumbled. “But I remember what she told me before” she added. “What?” Russell asked as he listened, “Flowers represent happiness, they make people happy and people should know that all of us deserve to be happy even in the darkest times of our lives” Kathryn said as she looked at Russell. He was staring at her after saying those words. “Why, did I say something wrong?” Kathryn asked him. Russell suddenly stood up and walked to Kathryn; he looked at her as he smiled, touched her hair, her eyes, and her cheeks. “Are you okay?” Kathryn asked Russell, “You look like you’re about to cry” said Kathryn, “Or are you sick?” asked Kathryn as she felt Russell’s forehead. Russell suddenly grabbed her hand and held it gently.

Kathryn was looking at Russell with questions running in her mind. “Kathryn” Russell uttered. “Yes?” Kathryn responded, “Can I hug you?” he asked as his tears fell down. Kathryn just nodded, Russell then hugged him tightly. Kathryn was wondering what had happened to Russell at that moment, she could hear him crying softly as he hugged her. Not long, Kathryn slowly hugged him back too. They hugged as if there’s no tomorrow and as if the night is for them to own. Russell then let go and wiped his tears, “I’m sorry, I…” said Russell. “It’s okay, really. If you need a friendly hug, you can always hug me” Kathryn said as she awkwardly smiled.