Chapter 44

chapter 44

Florence, Italy 

Vittoria paces the apartment she had rented for the month, deep in thought she lingers by the window, staring out at happy faces on this spring day.

She couldn't believe what Gianni had told her, as soon as she had gotten home, she called up Ada, who told her that Gianni had confessed to her too, and she was deeply sorry for what she had done. Sorry or not, this wasn't going to just get fixed, a trust that had been built over years had been broken, they would never be the same. Ada still didn't know about Vittoria being pregnant, Vittoria couldn't bring herself to tell Ada on call, in fear that her phone was being tapped, not just by her crazy husband, but the media that had been having an absolute feral time trying to dissect Vittoria's and Nickolas's marriage.

She knew at some point she would have to tell Nickolas about the baby, she didn't want to deprive him of that, however messed up they were, she wanted their kid to have a nice life, she wanted their kid to be a happy kid, and not bear witness to their tumultuous marriage. 

She wanted her baby to be raised in a happy and healthy environment, she feared that Nickolas and her couldn't do that now.

Suddenly she heard a muffled bang from outside her bedroom.

She frowned, stilling in her footsteps.

Before she could react any further, the door was swung open and a hand landed around her body, attacking her. "You, bitch!" The woman yelled, as Vittoria tried to defend herself. 

It was Heidi. 

"What the fuck?" Vittoria said, Heidi's one arm went around Vittoria's throat. Vittoria's head was pounding. "Die you bitch!" Heidi said as she tightened her hold on Vittoria's neck.

Out of nowhere, Heidi's body was pulled away from her, Vittoria collapsed on the floor, coughing, trying to breathe again. strong arms wrapped around hers, this time they weren't suffocating, but comforting. 

"Are you okay, love?" Nickolas's voice rang in her ears, concern laced in his voice, as his hands went up and down her arms in a soothing manner. Vittoria nodded, looking at him, surprised to say the least. Behind them she could see one of Nickolas's bodyguard's dragging Heidi away.

"Nickolas, Vittoria tried to hurt me!" Heidi claimed. 

Nickolas's arms tightened around Vittoria.

"Heidi you can feed your lies to someone else." He said in a much colder tone.

Vittoria gazed at his face, he had a stubble now, he looked so much older, as though the 3 weeks had taken a toll on him, yet he still looked lethal.

"what the hell just happened? and what are you doing here?" Vittoria asked as she moved away from his embrace. 

"Love, you need rest, I'm calling a doctor." He spoke with authority, yet she could tell he was very concerned. 

"I'm fine, but I need you to tell me what are you doing here, how the fuck did you get here so quickly?" She said with a frown marring her face.

Nickolas stared at her intently. "What do you think my love?" 

It then dawned on her. "How long have you been here?" she said suspicion lacing her tone.

Nickolas started towards her, but she held up a hand. 

"How long, Nickolas?" She said, her voice raised by a decibel.

"As long as you've been here." He said, shrugging his arms. 

"you're lying." She huffed, not wanting to believe. 

"you really think after everything, I was just going to let you go? I'm a monster, Vittoria, you can yell in my face, hell, put me through hell, yet I would kneel before you, Vittoria, letting you go-has never been on the books, my love." He spoke, his breathing quickened as he did so. 

Vittoria chuckled. "Every time I think I've seen the limit, you always prove to me that I'm wrong, gosh, how fucking naive and stupid was I when I married you." She said, holding her head in her hands, feeling frustrated, she felt increasingly lightheaded. 

"Vittoria!" Nickolas's loud concerned voice was the last thing she heard as she slipped out of consciousness.