Chapter 38

chapter 38

3 days later

"That'll be all for today's meeting, Headley, get the legal team to review it, I want it done by the end of this week." Nickolas said in a commanding voice, through the board meeting, his mood was dark and he was like a ticking bomb silently waiting to show its lethality in full force. 

As the board members started walking out of the board room, Nickolas, without looking up said, "Damien, we need to talk." 

Damien turned around, he didn't look so well either. 

After leaving Gianni's apartment that day, his mood was sour. Ada barely spoke to him anymore, they had just started getting to know each other and for the first time Damien felt all those butterflies bullshit people spoke about so often when referring to falling in love, but now he was desolate without her presence.

"how is she?" Nickolas asked. 

Damien scoffed, "Why your bodyguards stationed all around and over Gianni apartment building don't keep you updated or perhaps let's talk about the fact that you've brought the entire apartment building?"

Nickolas glared at his friend. "She's my wife." He said as though that explained everything. 

"She wants to divorce you, dude." Damien said with a frown.  Nickolas banged the table with his fist, "absolutely not!"

"You think by blocking her access to divorce lawyers in the country is going to stop her from leaving you?" Damien said with a sinister smile. 

Nickolas paused.

"What do you mean?" Nickolas asked with a chilling calmness. His fists were clenched. 

"You think just by blocking off access to divorce lawyers is going to just make everything fine- you might still force her to remain married, but emotionally she'll be completely disconnected-hell she'll even hate you, she's miserable Nickolas, can't you fucking see?!" Damien said through gritted teeth. 

Even though Nickolas was his boss's boss, Damien didn't care right now.

Nickolas regarded him with cold and calculating eyes, taking in everything he had just said. "I'll make it right or I'll die trying to make her goddamn happy again." Nickolas said as his eyes twitched.

"You love her don't you?" Damien said as he regarded Nickolas. Nickolas's eyes twitched. 

Nickolas had been so edgy and angry the past week, it was palpable. No one wanted to further irritate the beast, everyone stayed away from him. Nickolas had obsessively checked up the surveliinace or any updates he could get on Vittoria. 

It was like she was embedded in his soul.

"You're dismissed, Damien." Nickolas said as he looked at Damien with furious eyes. 

Damien intently looked at him, scoffing as he walked out, pausing at the door, he turned around and said, "I think I got my answer." 

~

Vittoria sat up, packing the last of her bags.

It was the first time she was seeing her entire life stowed away in luggages.  First time she was moving out of the country, she had spent her entire life with her parents until 18, then she moved on to university, and then straight to Nickolas's extravagant penthouse.

It would be the first time she would live on her own.

She felt scared but excited. She had finally decided on the country she wanted to move to. 

After a long time, as Vittoria sat watching the sun go down, she felt at peace.

She didn't have to live up to anyone's expectations. She wanted some time apart, to figure out who she was, without anyone else. 

She was going to be free from the constraints of her life, that bound her down. For the first time, Vittoria was going to fly. 

Fly, as she sowed dreams in a foreign city. For the first time, a deep calmness pervaded. 

Perhaps, she would learn how to dance freely there. Perhaps she would throw her head back and laugh wholeheartedly.

But she knew one thing for certain- she would never be the same. 

~