Chapter 13

chapter 13

The rest of the weekend was spent doing mundane touristy things around Lake Como, no more surprise guests, no fights, and no crazy hot sex. On the last night, they all had a rooftop dinner, a peaceful ending to a rather turbulent vacation.

On Monday evening, as Vittoria stepped out of the law firm she worked at, laughing at a text, Damein had sent her, which read, "Team top dog making our heads spin, what did you add in his breakfast this morning?"

Damien was referring to Nickolas, since Damien worked under Nickolas, Damien was the CFO in Armani Greenfield's Industries, a subsidiary under Armani Industries.

"Just a little rat poison, mixed it with honey syrup for flavour." Vittoria joked, texting him back.

Dave was at the curb with a Rolls Royce, Vittoria greeted him as she got in the car. Damien texted her, "Makes so much sense now."

Vittoria smiled, she felt lighter after the trip, she yet had to solve problems with Nickolas but she was not burdened by them, any longer, she was rather looking for solutions now, she wanted what was best for both of them.

She was going to solve this.

They reached the penthouse within a few minutes, as the traffic was mild, getting on the private elevator, Vittoria hit the button for their floor, leaning her back against the frame, she took off her heels, working for a law firm was no joke, everyday was a challenge, but it was one Vittoria welcomed with open arms, she liked the intricacies of law as a profession and was glad she chose to do what she did.

She stepped out of the elevator as it opened up on their floor, but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw someone sitting in the living room. A lady, looking extremely poised and prim, not a hair out of place, wearing a Chanel white two piece, sipping on some tea, in contrast Vittoria looked over worked and tired, her hair going down in messy waves and her navy blue suit, crumpled.

She slowly walked towards the lady, as the lady got up and eyed her up and down.

Was Nickolas hosting someone? He usually kept his business associates out of their penthouse but whenever he did host them here, he let Vittoria know in advance.

"You must be Vittoria Ross." The lady stated. She used Ross, instead of Armani, which Vittoria realized was deliberate, and not a slip of tongue.

"I'm Vittoria Armani, actually, welcome to my home, and you are?" Vittoria said as politely as she could. The lady eyed Vittoria's face with a glint.

She had gone around the elite circles long enough to know when someone was trying to step on you and how to not let them in the kindest yet effective manner.

"I'm Heidi Koch, I was just passing by, Nickolas insisted that I stop by, I wouldn't have otherwise, but he was so persistent." Heidi stated with a smile that was not exactly kind.

"Oh well, that's nice of you, please do sit." Vittoria said, still standing, holding her heels in her hands, this was her home she could keep her heels on her head if she wished, she wouldn't let this woman's judgy eyes stop her.

She tried to remember if she knew anyone who was a koch, but she came up with nothing.

"Ma'am, I let Ms. Koch in your absence," Claire, the main house keeper, said as she stood at the corridor, looking very apologetic, Vittoria frowned.

"That's alright, Claire," Vittoria assured Claire. "Oh please don't be so formal with me, Claire, Call me Heidi." Heidi said with an airy laugh.

Vittoria's frown deepened, Heidi knew Claire before this? But Claire had worked for Nickolas since he was a young kid, originally Claire was working for his parents, even though his parents weren't billionaires, his father was a doctor, and when Nickolas moved on to his own house, he offered Claire to work for him, a generous increment in her salary, but Claire worked for him not solely for the money but simply because she saw him as her own son, however stoic he was, and when Vittoria started living with Nickolas in this humongous penthouse, Claire made her feel like she was home, something her own mother could never do.

So if Heidi knew Claire it meant that she somehow frequented his home, before their marriage?

"I'm sorry, but how do you know Nickolas?" Vittoria questioned. Her heels were still very much in her hands.

"Oh he never told you," Heidi said so sympathetically as though Vittoria had lost someone dear and she was here to give her condolences.

"Vittoria," Heidi said her name as though she was addressing a child "I was his fiancé."

~
Hello guys!!
How did you like this chapter?? Looks like Nickolas is hiding a lot of things....
If you enjoyed this, please do vote!
Thank you for reading :)
Until next time :p