Chapter 75

After the arrival was a little more energetic, things calmed down a little later when it came to eating. Yukiji had been on her feet for so long that she didn't really have much energy left and was now taking it easy. Zoro's wounds were briefly examined by Mihawk, who said that his body simply needed some time.

"Tell me, there's something on your mind. What's wrong?" asked Nova when Yukiji was barely audible. It was pretty quiet at dinner anyway, but if she was present, things should be a little more cheerful.

"So I..." , Yukiji began before exhaling and gathering her courage. "There are a few things I want to get off my chest. Things that you should keep to yourselves. Especially towards the straw hats."

She received questioning looks, which was not surprising. Nova had a small premonition of what Yukiji was going to say. There was nothing else she needed to say on this subject, or was there?

Yukiji breathed out again, feeling Zoro's clear gaze on her. With him, it was somehow particularly difficult for her to tell the truth. Not with Mihawk, since he was indirectly involved with the navy and might know the reason for her wanted poster.

"I am a princess." Yukiji now simply said and heard nothing at first. Only a slight laugh from Zoro could be heard. "I know, this admiral and Chopper say so. It's nothing new."

Yukiji grumbled slightly annoyed and should have expected such a reaction from him. But it really annoyed her a little that he found it funny. "I really am one!"

"Then if you're trying to tell me that Rufflebrow is a prince, then it's a good joke." There was a silence among the others, though Mihawk had nodded knowingly when Yukiji had said those words. He had such a hunch. Especially when Nova had told him a few things about the past.

"Whaaaat!?" Zoro shouted, stunned, when he saw the knowing looks and almost fell off his chair. So he had been traveling with two nobles the whole time?! "So that means..."

"That Admiral Aokiji didn't just call me princess, and Chopper has been using Hime as a nickname ever since he found out, yes." Yukiji smiled and almost laughed a little at his reaction. "Apart from him and Robin, no one knows. It should stay that way."

Zoro swallowed. He had to digest that first. Yukiji was really supposed to be a princess? No way! Her behavior didn't fit in at all!

But there was something else besides the confession that Nova didn't know either. For that reason alone, the Vinsmoke's smile evaporated as she nervously played with the fabric of her clean pants, which she could wash before eating.

"As you know from the wanted poster, my father is looking for me and wants me back. But...I can't and won't go back there." Yukiji said, breathing softly as she found it really hard to talk about it right now.

"My father is greedy for power and strength, so to speak. Even before I was born, he carried out experiments and genetic manipulation on my siblings. Including me later on, which is why we all have different colored hair." Yukiji began to talk and kept her eyes lowered. She didn't want to see their faces, especially not Nova's, who had tensed up.

"Since I've had pink hair since I was born anyway, my mother gave me a different name. It's actually customary for everyone to be named after a number with a ji after it." continued Yukiji, who had revealed everything from here on.

The punishments, the beatings that everyone received if they did not behave according to the rules. The punishments you got if you didn't behave like a noblewoman, but instead did subservient work. This also brought up the subject of Sanji, who had been punished for his work as a cook. Yukiji also talked about her own punishments concerning Nova and the topic of servants.

So Nova finally found out why she had been given three days off or a few days off from time to time. She was not allowed to see how Yukiji had been punished. This sacrifice brought tears to Nova's eyes. She knew that Yukiji had always protected her. But she never knew that it was because of all this.

"Sorry Nova, I couldn't and never wanted to tell you. But..." Yukiji swallowed. She felt her heart ache and she almost cried herself. However, it was all in the past, which was why she wanted to try and put it all behind her.

To show that she was more or less over it, which was also thanks to Chopper, Yukiji stood up before jumping up and spinning around once, giving Zoro a totally different look.

"I'm looking to the future, thanks to my friends." Yukiji smiled and showed the strong side she had learned as a graceful princess. A sight that made Zoro close his eyes with a smile. She wasn't just a stubborn girl after all, but made the best of what she could from her past.

"So I don't want pity. Especially not from you, Nova-chan!" Yukiji laughed somewhat childishly, causing the black-haired girl to wipe away her tears and nod. "Good, then you won't get any pity from me either. Little princess."