𝟎𝟏. 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐔𝐩

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟎𝟏. 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐔𝐩

 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐆𝐫𝐨𝐰 𝐔𝐩

________________________

     "OW!"

     "Your hair won't look pretty if you don't let me brush it," a woman called out jokingly.

     "What good will brushing do if you rip out all my hair with that brush," a young girl replied. 

     The two were inside a childhood bedroom. The walls were decorated with light pink flowers that matched the soft hues of the bedsheets, still messy from sleep, and decorated with a teddy bear that had been thrown haphazardly atop a fluffy white pillow. The windows were slightly open, causing the white curtains to flow into the room with the spring breeze that had come with the morning light. The room itself was decorated just as a young girl's bedroom would be expected to be decorated.

     Plushies were thrown all around, making the room look at times more like a kid's department store than an actual room. On the desk, which was tainted with scribbles that had slipped from under papers, there were a few school worksheets with math exercises written on them - all featuring the classic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems - nothing with algebra or trigonometry, of course. On the far side of the desk, there was a small record player, with the humming of a familiar ABBA song playing on the speakers.

     "...slipping through my fingers all the time, I try to capture every minute..." a voice sang out, echoing across the room as it sounded out from the record player. 

     The dresser had a mirror resting on the wall directly above it, reflecting the hair clips, bows, and the hairbrush that had until a brief moment ago, been running through the hair of the young girl who owned the room. Speaking of this girl, her frown was the center image of the mirror as she stared straight into it. Behind her, she would oftentimes glance at the older lady who was squinting at the top of her head as she tried to figure out how to tie the blue ribbon on top of her head. 

     "Are you sure you know how to do this?" Lorelei asked, her brows knitted as her small fingers played with the hem of her dress, a light blue one that her mother was forcing her to use.

     "Of course I do, your mother left very strict instructions - so there's no getting out of this," her grandmother replied, already knowing where this conversation was leading.

     Lorelei huffed and rolled her brown eyes before looking back at her grandmother through the mirror. "But you're not her mother - you're Dad's! And he won't care-" she tried to reason.

     "Lorelei." 

     "But I don't want to wear a ribbon!' She sighed, jaw clenched and eyes pleading. "I want to leave my hair the way it is!"