𝟐𝟒. 𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐟𝐟

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟐𝟒. 𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐟𝐟

 𝐀𝐥𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐟𝐟

________________________

  EXHAUSTION DIDN'T BEGIN TO COVER IT. By the time Lorelei finally arrived home, she felt as though her entire body was nailed to the ground from how tired she felt; she barely had the energy to drag herself up to her room - and taking a shower proved to be quite the hassle.

  The Byers, Nancy, Hooper, Eleven, and her father had shown up the at house a few minutes after Lorelei had finished patching Steve up. The relief that Lorelei had felt upon seeing that not only was her father alive, but the mission had also been a success, could not be contained.

  But as they said goodbye to everyone and headed to their home, Lorelei finally allowed the happenings of the night to dawn on her. They weighed on her back like the heaviest burden she had ever carried - because she knew that they was no coming back from what she saw. It seemed impossible.

  How could she just go on with her normal life as if nothing had happened? How could she when people had died - when she had almost died. It seemed impossible because it was goddamn impossible. 

  Lorelei had washed all the grime and sweat away during her shower. She had scrubbed and lathered her body in soap for the longest time; her movements frantic as she tried to wipe away all the memories along with the dirt. But she found that even when her shower had finished and she was warm in her bed, the images of what she had seen kept nagging at her mind.

  A knock sounded at the door, and Lorelei nearly jumped when she heard it, her hands coming up to cover her heart as it raced. "Can I come in?" her father asked under his breath.

  Lorelei nodded her head, that is until she remembered that he couldn't actually see her. "Yeah - you can come in." She raised her voice a bit, wincing when it shook.

  The door to her bedroom opened, and David Keller walked in silently. He ran his eyes over his daughter's face, taking in the dark circles under her eyes that were only noticeable if you paid enough attention. He closed the door behind him and trudged over so he was sitting on the edge of the bed.

  "How are you coping?" His voice sounded soft, almost as if he felt ashamed of what she had gone through.

  "I'm not sure," she shrugged. "I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight."