𝟎𝟒. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐭𝐜𝐡

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟎𝟒. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐭𝐜𝐡

________________________

  LORA'S SECOND DAY OF SCHOOL had been going fairly smoothly for the first few periods. She had spent the lessons half paying attention, and half doodling absentmindedly in her notebook. It was only during her free period that a sudden chill ran up her spine. She had been sitting in the library with Estelle, revising some math content when she recalled all the events of the last hours.

  She had woken up that morning on Dustin's couch, her hair all over her face and a blanket thrown over her body. At first, Lorelei had entered a complete panic, for she had thought that she had been single-handedly able to lose the child on her first-ever babysitting gig - that would have been just peachy. But to her complete relief, Dustin strolled out of his bedroom, sporting none less than the ghostbusters costume that he had shown her the previous night.

  "You scared me half to death!" Lorelei scolded as she stood from the couch and began folding the blanket neatly "I thought you had been kidnapped or something."

  "Jeez, it's not like the demo-" Dustin began speaking before he widened his eyes and placed his hands atop his mouth.

  "What did you say?" Lorelei turned to him, her eyes narrowed.

  "Me?" Dustin asked, his voice cracking slightly "nothing."

  She opened her mouth for a moment, looking for something to say before ultimately shutting it once more and shaking her head. These people were weird. Everyone seemed to be so jumpy around her, and it created an itch in her mind that she felt compelled to scratch - she just didn't know-how.

  "There you are Dusty" a shrill voice spoke out, almost causing Lorelei her second heart attack of the morning.

  She turned to see a woman walking into the room, a sweater and skirt decorating her body and adding even more warmth to the large smile on her face. She had curly locks, just like Dustin's, and arms wrapped around the boy as she approached him.

  "Mom!" Dustin groaned, trying to pull away from the hug "stop it!"

  "It's um- nice to meet you, Mrs. Henderson," Lorelei approached the woman, a small smile on her face "I'm Lorelei Keller."

  "Of course you are," the woman shook her hand with a grin "you really saved me last night! I was so worried that my Dusty would have to spend the majority of the evening alone. He didn't cause much trouble did he?"

  Lorelei glanced over at Dustin with a small smirk. She recalled the first few curse words and insults that had been thrown at her; it was clear that Dustin was anything but gentle in his words. Still, she had quite enjoyed the movie with him, and there was a spark in him that she was growing fond of. As much as Lorelei Keller wished it weren't true, she liked the kid.