𝟐𝟖. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟐𝟖. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥

________________________

  CHRISTMAS SONGS WERE PLAYING. Hearts were light. Everywhere you looked, the town of Hawkins was getting ready for the festivities that would be coming at the end of the month. No one could ever be angry during Christmas, well - most people couldn't anyways. 

  "What the fuck?" Lorelei exclaimed.

  She looked down at her shoes to see that her feet were soaking wet, the satin of her heels being stained with the red punch. Lorelei tightened her jaw and glanced at the terrified middle-schooler that already had his eyes set on her. His hand was shaking as he held the empty cup, and she could swear that he looked as pale as snow at that moment.

  "These were new heels man," she groaned.

  "I'm so sorry-" the kid winced before scampering off and leaving her on her own.

  Lorelei watched him go with narrowed eyes and once he was fully gone, she leaned down and removed the heels from her feet. Frankly, the heels were killing her toes anyway, but now she was going to have to walk around barefoot, and that little shit was to blame.

  The Hawkins Middle School had planned the annual Snowball, which was a Christmas-themed dance. Lorelei's father had insisted she help chaperone the dance, after all, it would give her something to do, and in his words maybe she could find another poor kid to babysit - one that would actually pay her.

  She had dragged Estelle along as well, but the girl had fallen sick last minute - very conveniently - and Lorelei had been forced to go alone. 

  It wasn't like she didn't like Christmas, she loved it. But spending an entire evening taking care of a bunch of middle schoolers that she didn't know seemed like a pretty shitty way to celebrate the holiday. 

  Lorelei walked barefoot over to the punch table, where Nancy was handing the drink out with a smile. When she approached the table, Lorelei set her heels down in front of Nancy with raised brows, causing the Wheeler girl to look over at her.

  "I had a little accident that involved a kid spilling punch all over my shoes," she explained. "You don't happen to have a spare, do you?"

  "Sorry," Nancy shook her head. "These kids are really a hassle aren't they?"

  "Yeah," Lorelei breathed out with a groan. "I'd say so."