𝟏𝟗. 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟏𝟗. 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

________________________

  "OH MY GOD," Lorelei whispered under her breath.

  It was as if someone had sucked the air out of the room and thrown it somewhere else. At the same time as everything felt insanely tense, the atmosphere had also changed to a safe one. For some reason, now that the girl was here, Lorelei felt protected - no matter how stupid she felt for cowering behind a thirteen-year-old child. But to the fair, this child did have powers.

  Time stood still as no one made any move.

  Lorelei ran her eyes over the girl's face; she had certainly grown based on the pictures Lorelei had seen. But it was still the same face. And the fact that the girl had singlehandedly opened the front door and killed a demodog with her mind was also a key giveaway.

  The girl's nose was bleeding crimson red, but she made no move to wipe her face. Lorelei followed the girl's line of sight, and she raised her brows in slight surprise to see that Mike was at the end of that line.

  "It's her isn't it?" Lorelei turned to Steve, her voice sounding just above a mere whisper.

  "Yeah," Steve replied, his eyes not leaving the girl that was still standing at the door.

  Granted, Steve had never actually met the girl - but he had heard about her, and he knew for a fact that there weren't many girls with mind-abilities roaming around Hawkins. Not many that any of them knew of at least.

  Mike was the first person to make a move. It seemed as though the Wheeler boy walked in slow motion until he was standing right in front of the girl.

  Lorelei wasn't able to make out what they were saying, but the next thing she knew, they were hugging. She swore that she had never seen two people hug each other in that way, and neither had she ever hugged someone like that - it seemed as though they had been waiting for that moment so long.

  "Why wouldn't you tell me you were there?" Lorelei heard Mike ask. "That you were okay?"

  "Because I wouldn't let her," Hopper spoke up.

  As Mike stepped away from the girl in confusion, Hopper neared her. Lorelei turned to her father, and she noticed that his eyes were looking at the girl with familiarity. She supposed he had met her briefly, and it burned her that he had kept all this from her for so long.