𝟐𝟗. 𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟐𝟗. 𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈𝐧

(𝐈 𝐬𝐧𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐞)

________________________

     CRICKETS CHIRPING AND MUSIC PLAYING. Those were the two sounds that were humming softly against Lorelei's ears. Her eyes were closed as her back leaned against her headboard, her pajamas on, and her fingers tapped against the top of her thigh.

     She had gotten home a couple of hours ago already - after the officials had deemed it suitable to allow everyone to leave the ambulances and finally get some rest. But rest was the last thing on Lorelei's mind.

     After getting home, she had talked to her father a bit. They had shared what had happened while they were apart, with Lorelei recounting Billy's death and her father explaining Hopper's tragic ending. 

     It had not been a particularly cheerful conversation - not the kind that warmed the heart and made Lorelei walk away with a pep in her step - instead, it had been hard to live through everything again as she told it to her father.

     They had helped offer Joyce and her family a place to spend the night, as all of them were much too shaken up to go back to their isolated home that night. And so, after her little talk with her father, they had set pillows up on the couches, where Jonathan and Will were now snoring peacefully, able to sleep in each other's presence. 

     Joyce and Eleven, who ultimately were the two that were the most shaken up out of all of them, had taken the spare room. Last Lorelei had checked, they had been laying on the bed, both wearing sleep clothes that Lorelei had lent them, with the lights on and their eyes resisting the pull of sleep.

     As for David Keller, he had drunk half a can of beer, hoping to get his spirits up before deciding that alcohol would do little to soothe the sting of losing his close friend. Instead, he had said goodnight to Lorelei, leaving a kiss on her forehead before he darted into his room to try to get some sleep.

     Suddenly, the music that had been playing on Lorelei's record player came to a halt. She groaned quietly, lifting up her head to see that the vinyl had come to an end. As reluctantly as possible, she got up from her bed, cautiously stepping over to the record player, her footsteps light as she tried not to wake anyone who might be sleeping.

     She had decided about one hour ago that she was not going to get any sleep. The most relaxed she had been was when she was taking a shower. Even then, just as she was about to allow her eyes to close, the shampoo bottle near her had fallen to the floor with a rattle. Suffice it to say that was enough to scare her into stepping out of the shower as quickly as possible.