𝟏𝟒. 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐢𝐜 𝐀𝐜𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐈𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐜𝐲

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟏𝟒. 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐢𝐜 𝐀𝐜𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐈𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐜𝐲

 𝐇𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐢𝐜 𝐀𝐜𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐈𝐝𝐢𝐨𝐜𝐲

________________________

A FEW MINUTES BLENDED INTO AN HOUR as they all sat waiting. The only sounds that could be heard outside were those of the wind whistling and the trees shifting as they were hit by said wind. Other than that, it was deadly silent.

Lorelei contemplated walking away many times as she sat waiting, her arm pressed against Steve's side. But she couldn't possibly - not now, at least. Sure, she wasn't like those heroes that were talked about in movies; the ones that leap into danger to protect everyone and save the world. But she refused to be the polar opposite - to run in the other direction like a coward.

A part of her still didn't believe that this was all real - almost as if she had just paid for something ridiculously expensive and was still waiting for the bill to arrive. It all felt like some sort of nightmare that she couldn't get out of.

She had her minor freakouts, especially when she had first found her father's work files and when she saw Dart for the first time. But Lorelei wasn't fully convinced that she had allowed everything all the way. And she hoped she never would - not if it would cause her to freak out again.

"Hey Frizzy?" she asked the boy, who had come down from the top of the bus with Max a few minutes ago.

"Yeah?" he turned to her slowly, curls bouncing on his forehead.

"Why did you name the thing Dart?" she inquired.

It seemed like a silly question to ask out of the blue at a time such as that. But Lorelei was bored, her hands were cold and she wanted to get her mind off her impending doom. So yeah, that was the distraction that came to mind. And surprisingly enough, Steve and Max lifted their heads, eager to hear the answer as well.

"Well, when I found him I gave him a piece of my Three Musketeers chocolate bar," Dustin explained, a small smile on his face "and he really like it so I figured I would name him after one of the characters from the comic."

"D'Artagnan," Lorelei mumbled, her head bobbing in understanding.

"You read comic books, Keller?" Steve smirked, arm bumping further into hers as he moved to look at her.

"No," Lorelei hissed, her eyes narrowed "I just know the story." she shrugged, sinking deeper into herself and crossing her arms.